PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Based Distros

qmemo
September 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hello all, Starting from Debian there is Ubuntu which is as we know based on Debian!

Now there is also other based on Debian I will mention mepis & dream

Now again there is also Mint & gOS.

My Question is Why would any one Bick a Based on Based Distro?

I do not get it, all use almost same repos, all almost function like each other!

any Light on that issue?

thanks in advance

DarkDancer
September 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Actually I have a friend who used Ubuntu for a year or so, but really it didn't get along well with his computer. He tried Mint and it and his computer play together much better. He wanted to stick with the Ubuntu family, because he already has a handle on how things are done here... ;)

the yawner
September 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Some of this distros emerged because they feel they have something to offer that will never be available by default in Ubuntu or Debian. You'd find some of these features are too minor but there's always someone else that will find derivative distros appealing.

qmemo
October 1st, 2008, 01:01 AM
Would that mean that back to bases is good?

SomeGuyDude
October 1st, 2008, 01:04 AM
I'm going to make a distro based on Mint. Then hopefully someone will make a fork of my distro. Hopefully we can make the package/update chain so long that there's a six month delay between when Debian updates packages and when the distro at the end gets word of it.

jimi_hendrix
October 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM
@qmemo cant hurt can it?

jimi_hendrix
October 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I'm going to make a distro based on Mint. Then hopefully someone will make a fork of my distro. Hopefully we can make the package/update chain so long that there's a six month delay between when Debian updates packages and when the distro at the end gets word of it.

ill make a distro based on your distro :D then we can hopefully flood the linux "market" like the many versions of knoppix

Twitch6000
October 1st, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hello all, Starting from Debian there is Ubuntu which is as we know based on Debian!

Now there is also other based on Debian I will mention mepis & dream

Now again there is also Mint & gOS.

My Question is Why would any one Bick a Based on Based Distro?

I do not get it, all use almost same repos, all almost function like each other!

any Light on that issue?

thanks in advance
Well If I understand you right you are wondering why people are making distros based on distros that area already based on another.

If so the answer is simple,that is the freedom of FOSS and Linux.

Plus alot of the distros have differnt purposes.

Look at Linux Mint for example.

Versions 2.0 and before were nothing but, a new theme,different kernal,and a tune up here and there.

Now though It is alot more.

It has better update managers,comes with codecs,its own type of programs to help you,and alot of other things that make it different.

Then you have SAM Linux which is based On PClinuxOS(which is based on Mandriva).

There are alot of distros like that,most have their purposes too.

Some though are just a major remastery .

cardinals_fan
October 1st, 2008, 01:32 AM
Well If I understand you right you are wondering why people are making distros based on distros that area already based on another.

If so the answer is simple,that is the freedom of FOSS and Linux.

That's not an answer. That's more like saying "I went out and stood in a bucket of water for ten minutes because it's legal to do that in the US".

jimi_hendrix
October 1st, 2008, 01:43 AM
well if i made a distro i would probably base it off of ubuntu because its the only distro ive used so it would feel natural for me

SomeGuyDude
October 1st, 2008, 02:19 AM
ill make a distro based on your distro :D then we can hopefully flood the linux "market" like the many versions of knoppix

Then I'll create a new version of my distro that builds off yours. We'll make a pair of Mobius Distros. :)

qmemo
October 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM
and when will be the end?

Many Distros got birth every while, many of them do merge.

The BSDs are total failure as a Desktop OS Compared to Linux! and Linux is as we are discussing now.

Where the end, where is this going?

well ever see a Universal OS Combining them all?

Riffer
October 1st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Actually I can see even more Distro's in the future. With re mastering tools becoming more mature, and other Distro's offering these tools as part of their system (Arch and Gentoo come to mind, along with Reconstructor and ReMastersys as tools)I can easily see many more deciding to do their own builds or Distro's.

As Linux becomes more prevalent, I can see businesses and institutions building their own systems to meet their needs, friends sharing their "Distros" as a cool thing. And people will choose the "Base Distro" for the tools and packages that they offer.

My 2cents