PDA

View Full Version : Making music in ubuntu

uraliss
September 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hi Folks,
One of my hobbies is as a guitarist and singer in a band. Currently we dont have a drummer so I have started investigating the best ways to make music with ubuntu and have discovered the wonderful Hydrogen.
I would also like to experimient more with ubuntu specifically to synthesise some sounds and perhaps do some sequencing.

I have an m-audio oxygen8 midi controller keyboard (works great!) and also an edirol ua-20 external usb sound device (which doesn't).

After days of trying to understand how it all works together I managed to get jack installed and some alsa config thing that enabled me to route my midi keyboard to amsynth and zybsubsynth. Very rewarding once I got to this point but I have to say the linux sound/music creation process is very confusing.

I would be interested how others use their setup to create, play, sequence and record music to see if there are better ways of doing this. Are there specific ways of doing things that work for you? What applications work best for you and why. What resources have helped you?

Thanks

Circus-Killer
September 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
both rosegarden and lmms are available in the repos.
rosegarden is very hard to use.
lmms is relatively easy to get used to, resembles FLStudio.

i myself only ever use lmms.
you can also try ubuntu-studio, which is an ubuntu-based distro designed specifically for multimedia creation.

DoctorBeaver
October 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I've installed Studio, Audacity and lmms. I haven't been able to even start lmms yet. It doesn't appear in the menus and I have to do a search every time. Then I'm faced with a whole load of files and I don't know which 1 to click to start it.

I've got a problem with output device & sample rate in Audacity that I don't know how to solve.

And where is all the Ubuntu Studio stuff?

Ub1476
October 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Here's an article abous music production and Linux. Hope it helps.

http://hehe2.net/linuxhowto/free-professional-music-production-a-linux-introduction/