PDA

View Full Version : iPhone - Ubuntu/Linux Applications

PartisanEntity
September 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Any recommendations for applications that allow connectivity, synchronisation, messaging, streaming etc.. between the iPhone and Ubuntu/Linux operating systems?

ntetreau
September 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Most of the information can be found in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5431157#post5431157

Unfortunately, Apple changed the database hash in the new firmware >2.0, so that connectivity became very limited under linux. I've switched to using iTunes under vmware on XP or virtualbox... quite disapointing.

fabzor3
January 21st, 2010, 11:26 PM
MATE!

thats what i thought too!

i have an ippd touch 3g...

first you need to jailbreak it.. to do that you need this app

http://blackra1n.com/

go n get it for win or mac, your gonna need a windows pc to turn it on once it get jailbroken in... but its worth it

cos after then once you install openssh you can ftp into the thing and install whatever you want over ftp (you need wifi)

zaksworld
January 21st, 2010, 11:45 PM
your ipod has to be jailbroken, but my favourites are SSH and mobile Terminal

I also like Dropbox, but it doesn't have to be jailbroken.

k64
January 22nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
You can try to use SSH to jailbreak the iPod, using an encryption cracker along with it. Scan the iPod for encryption keys, and hack 'em!

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
You can try to use SSH to jailbreak the iPod, using an encryption cracker along with it. Scan the iPod for encryption keys, and hack 'em!

toupeiro
January 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/bsoul27/facepalm_implied2.jpg

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Some of us cannot jailbreak our iphones, mine has the new iboot and needs a tethered jailbreak, which requires itunes.

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
Some of us cannot jailbreak our iphones, mine has the new iboot and needs a tethered jailbreak, which requires itunes.

essplain?

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 03:07 AM
essplain?
iPhone's manufactured past October 2009 come with a new iboot (bootloader) which prevents jailbreaking. While it is possible to jailbreak, only a "tethered" jailbreak is available. Whenever the phone turns on, it must be connected to itunes and re-jailbroken.

pelle.k
January 22nd, 2010, 03:30 AM
It's rumored iPhoneOS 4 is on it's way out, better wait until someone breaks that sucker IMHO.
My iPhone isn't jailbroken though. I use "Files" http://olivetoast.com/Files/ to enable file transfers to my iPhone over my wireless network. Works great. The Files app functions as a media player, music player, document viewer, picture viewer, etc

pwnst*r
January 22nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
iPhone's manufactured past October 2009 come with a new iboot (bootloader) which prevents jailbreaking. While it is possible to jailbreak, only a "tethered" jailbreak is available. Whenever the phone turns on, it must be connected to itunes and re-jailbroken.

aha! This I wasn't aware of, thanks Herm.

doorknob60
January 22nd, 2010, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by ihermit View Post
aha! This I wasn't aware of, thanks Herm.
As long as you don't completely turn it off (by holding the power button for a few seconds then sliding the off switch, rather than just pressing the power button), then it works fine. I haven't had to rejailbreak my iPod touch in like 3 weeks. And when you do, it only takes like 30 seconds, assuming you're in Windows (doesn't work in Virtualbox, though syncing with iTunes still does in VBox).

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 04:47 AM
As long as you don't completely turn it off (by holding the power button for a few seconds then sliding the off switch, rather than just pressing the power button), then it works fine. I haven't had to rejailbreak my iPod touch in like 3 weeks. And when you do, it only takes like 30 seconds, assuming you're in Windows (doesn't work in Virtualbox, though syncing with iTunes still does in VBox).
I'm worried my battery may die, I use it to listen to music all day. Mobile Internet and games drain the battery a lot as well.

doorknob60
January 22nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
I'm worried my battery may die, I use it to listen to music all day. Mobile Internet and games drain the battery a lot as well.
Yeah, I always come close to my battery dying from playing games at school all day :P Never actually ran out though. Listening to music makes my batter meter go way up if I'd been playing games on it earlier :P

AllRadioisDead
January 22nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I always come close to my battery dying from playing games at school all day :P Never actually ran out though. Listening to music makes my batter meter go way up if I'd been playing games on it earlier :P
Lol, good I'm not the only one spends valuable class time playing games.

CJ Master
January 22nd, 2010, 08:26 AM

http://craplog.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

PartisanEntity
January 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Wow I completely forgot that I had started this thread.

I bought my iPhone 3G in around September 2008, so no problems or obstacles jaibreaking it. It's been jailbroken for quite a while now.

However there aren't any apps or methods that I am aware of to synchronise data between the iPhone and Ubuntu, so sofar I only synchronize my data with the Mac.

My next smartphone is going to be a linux based phone that can be hacked easily and that does not include sandboxed applications, which I think cripple any smartphone beyond belief.

Sandboxing is evil.