PDA

View Full Version : I like Ubuntu... hate coffee...

erikpiper
November 22nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
I love ubuntu, and hate coffee. Wierd

Iandefor
November 22nd, 2005, 05:04 AM
Heretic!

uberlinux
November 22nd, 2005, 05:08 AM
I'm strictly a green/white tea person,
Ubuntu=good for you
Tea=good for you
coffee=bad for you

Qrk
November 22nd, 2005, 05:11 AM
Ubuntu=good for you
Tea=good for you
coffee=bad for you

I just tried my first cup of white tea... I'm hooked. I'm a huge tea fan, but wasn't very adventureous (earl grey and constant comment, with green for health) but white tea is my new favorite.

matthew
November 22nd, 2005, 05:28 AM
Ubuntu=good for you
Tea=good for you
coffee=bad for you I've got just one thing to say...read this article from Bloomberg. ;)
Coffee, Once Sinful, May Be the Newest Health Drink (http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=nifea&&sid=a6k34vCOguaA)

I admit it...I'm biased.
(http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=nifea&&sid=a6k34vCOguaA)

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 05:30 AM
I can't live without coffee. I don't have a single day without it.

matthew
November 22nd, 2005, 05:39 AM
I can't live without coffee. I don't have a single day without it.Do you drink it Turkish style or European style? Either way it is far better than American style. :) :)

mstlyevil
November 22nd, 2005, 05:45 AM
Do you drink it Turkish style or European style? Either way it is far better than American style. :) :)

I especially like Itallian style and Cuban style coffee. I like coffee that is strong and has a kick to it.

sapo
November 22nd, 2005, 06:04 AM
I especially like Itallian style and Cuban style coffee. I like coffee that is strong and has a kick to it.
Brazilian coffee ftw :)

jyank
November 22nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
I don't like coffee or tea (unless it's iced and sweet)

give me a mountain dew to start the day and I'm good :)

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 06:18 AM
Do you drink it Turkish style or European style? Either way it is far better than American style. :) :)
Both. But Turkish coffee is healthier since it can get filtered by the kidneys easily, say the doctors. Plus you take it in smaller doses.

How exactly does the American style differ from the European one?

fuscia
November 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
coffee? thanks for the idea.

uberlinux
November 22nd, 2005, 06:30 AM
coffee? thanks for the idea.
diet RockStar, oh yeah!

Kuolio
November 22nd, 2005, 07:14 AM
After I began to regularly read and post here on ubuntu forums, I've developed a serious coffee addiction. I didn't drin coffee that much before, not even everyday. I had frequently weeks between my coffee moments, but since I started to brainwash my self with this forums coffee theme I've started to drink coffee 1st daily and then twice a day, then three times.

This week I have just bought my 1st coffee machine. And gues what.. It's a espresso machine. I fell in love with espresso few weeks back when I tried out some "special" coffees in a coffee shop.

I usualy check these forums 1st thing in the morning (like now), and drink a big mug full of black espresso with some sugar. According to my espressomachine, my mug fits 5 normal "espresso cups", those small portions espresso usualy comes. No milk, no nothing, just pure "kick-my-teeths-in" strong black espresso.. can't live w/o it anymore :|
<sarcasm>
Thanks Ubuntuforums, you have made me to spend zillions of euros to coffee and a freeking espresso machine! </sarcasm>

Luggy
November 22nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
Ok what's the difference between the styles of coffee?
Do you mean where the beans are from or how it is made?

I'm not a fancy guy. Plain drip coffee or the kind you get at diners are fine by me but I can drink a whole pot by myself easy.

kassetra
November 22nd, 2005, 07:40 AM
How exactly does the American style differ from the European one?

Well now, depending on what area you're in....

This ought to turn some monks in Italy over in their grave: Standard american coffee is medium roasted slash beans (beans that do not make grade "A" cuts,) cut to a fine powder (yes, cut, not ground,) steep-brewed with water, frozen into a block, run through a chipper, and dehydrated into "crystals" that the average american "brews" in their coffee pot with water and a filter.

New Orleans coffee is cold-brewed chicory-base-roasted beans... which is enough to put hair on your chest... even if you're a woman.

Many americans however, simply opt for their local drive-through-cafe for coffee, hence the rise of the euorpean style coffee (espressos, etc.)

fuscia
November 22nd, 2005, 07:40 AM
diet RockStar, oh yeah!

you should try the food poisoning diet sometime. that rox for real.

there's a difference in where the beans are grown, how the beans are roasted (darker roasts are less oily and more kitty litter tasting, while lighter roasts are more like what most americans drink). how the drink is made not only affects the taste, but supposedly affects how the body reacts regarding elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

23meg
November 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM
Both. The beans themselves, how they're processed, how finely grained the end product is.. everything has effect. For example Turkish coffee is very finely grained (almost identical to cocoa powder), results in a thick liquid when boiled and is served in very small special cups as opposed to mugs.

blastus
November 22nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
Instead of coffee cups, why not pop cans or bottles? Instead of 5 cups of Ubuntu we could have 5 bottles of Ubuntu. Better yet, why not have the option to change the cups to pop cans or bottles in your profile? :)

Pablo_Escobar
November 22nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
Heh I love Ubuntu, and I love coffee :) That's what keeps me running at work :)

landotter
November 22nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
I'm democratic and like it all:

Decent yankee medium roast coffee is just dandy, but moka-pot is better, hand poured ceramic melitta cone is better than that, and a proper french press is the king of earthy coffee.

Tea wise, I love a floral Darjeeling from the Himalayas, good standard black tea from India, and even some fresh Earl Grey (lousy when stale, "Stash" makes the best one in the US if you can find the loose leaf version). Green tea is nice with sushi, but I'm not too fond of it otherwise.

When I'm feeling rebellious and contrary, I break out my mate and bombilla and a la Che--I drink my yerba mate.

jadugarr
November 22nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
coffee=bad for you
Thou shalt not blaspheme :p.

Seriously though, I'm a computer science major that doesn't remember life BC (before coffee). Those that tell you coffee has nothing to do with programming don't know what they're talking about. I drink ~6 cups on a normal weekday and sometimes a couple cups of hot tea. I preffer dark roasted espresso (unlike many american who drink water with a little coffee flavoring) without sugar/cream. I'll drink a capacino on special occasions however.

meldra
November 22nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

All you caffine freaks should find this website quite amusing. See if you can top yourself with your favourite drug ;)

jadugarr
November 22nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

All you caffine freaks should find this website quite amusing. See if you can top yourself with your favourite drug ;)

lol, I'll have to remember to stop at 98 shots of espresso.

bored2k
November 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM
I hate coffee.

sisiwong
November 22nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
:) no , both is good, ubuntu and coffee

sapo
November 22nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
I hate coffee.
You don like beer, dont like coffe, lemme guess.. dont like women too? :D

uberlinux
November 22nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Instead of coffee cups, why not pop cans or bottles? Instead of 5 cups of Ubuntu we could have 5 bottles of Ubuntu. Better yet, why not have the option to change the cups to pop cans or bottles in your profile? :)
Yea, we should at least be able to change our cups to red bull cans

matthew
November 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
Both. But Turkish coffee is healthier since it can get filtered by the kidneys easily, say the doctors. Plus you take it in smaller doses.

How exactly does the American style differ from the European one?It's a lot weaker and traditionally used cheaper beans so it can be a little bitter. After you have had good, strong and smooth coffee like espresso or from a french press (I second whoever said that's the best) you will find the typical American brew a little lacking. The good news is that the younger generation here seems to be waking up and more and more cafes are appearing that serve good coffee.

Site of interest: http://www.justaboutcoffee.com/index.php

mstlyevil
November 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
It's a lot weaker and traditionally used cheaper beans so it can be a little bitter. After you have had good, strong and smooth coffee like espresso or from a french press (I second whoever said that's the best) you will find the typical American brew a little lacking. The good news is that the younger generation here seems to be waking up and more and more cafes are appearing that serve good coffee.

Site of interest: http://www.justaboutcoffee.com/index.php

I agree with you that the younger generation has developed a taste for finer coffees. I hated coffee until I had my first esspresso. After that I could not get enough of the different kinds of fine coffees out there. I can drink american blends only if I sweeten it and add half and half to it first to make it palatable.

Sirin
November 22nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
I like Coloumbian style and Indian Style coffee. ;)

http://www.bandecoffee.com/coffee/images/cofb.jpg

landotter
November 22nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Coffeehouses have convinced Yanks that espresso+syrup+froth&whipped cream is somehow coffee. It's gone from one extreme to another.

The problem with American coffee was simply in the beans, and roast.

Drip, press, percolate, moka, vacuum-pot, or espresso machine--all can make a great cup of coffee.

The coffeehouse mentality reminds me of those youngsters that think putting a wing, underbody LEDS, and a trashcan shaped muffler on a 91 Civic somehow makes it better.

Coffee-ricers if you may. Usually Gentoo users as well. :p

NMUrugbysteve
November 22nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
When I'm feeling rebellious and contrary, I break out my mate and bombilla and a la Che--I drink my yerba mate.

WOOT!! I just discovered Yerba Mate and have fallen in love. It's sooooo good and so good for you.

landotter
November 22nd, 2005, 07:00 PM
WOOT!! I just discovered Yerba Mate and have fallen in love. It's sooooo good and so good for you.

Why do you think it's the drink of the gaucho? :D Puts hair on your knuckles and makes you walk like an Argentinian after ten hours in the saddle.

FWIW, don't buy it from the dippy organic foods store, you should be able to find a Latin American gocer in your Michigan area that sells real quality stuff. I like Rosamonte, but can't get it here, so get 500g bags of Cruz de Malta for $2USD. I see a lot of folks on the internet trying to gouge people pricewise, while posing as earth friendly hippie types. LOL

If you don't have a gourd, a French press makes great mate.

Sirin
November 22nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
I can't live without coffee. I don't have a single day without it.

Caffiene freak. :mrgreen:

az
November 22nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
I hate coffee.
(Waves hand like Jedi)
You like coffee.

ssam
November 22nd, 2005, 08:51 PM
coffee bad for you??!?!

How worried should we be? True, there are mountains of papers linking caffeine to all manner of health problems. But once you start digging, caffeine's critics don't have much going for them beyond an almost religious zeal to demonise the stuff. In fact, recent evidence suggests they are dead wrong. Caffeine, it turns out, has a multitude of health benefits. So much so that if most of us weren't drinking it already you could argue the case for adding it to the water supply.

says newscientist (Coffee: The demon drink?, 24 September 2005 ) http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg18725181.700 (you'll need a subscription or an athens login to read the whole thing)

it lists the follow benifits
*"reduced risk of liver cancer"
*"lower incidence of Parkinson's disease and type 2 diabetes"
*"reduces the risk of kidney stones"
*"owers the risk of gallstones and, intriguingly, suicide"

most of the research saying caffeine is bad comes from people injecting huge amounts into rats. (you can't add it to their food cos its too bitter)

so, drink up.

Sirin
November 22nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
coffee bad for you??!?!

says newscientist (Coffee: The demon drink?, 24 September 2005 ) http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg18725181.700 (you'll need a subscription or an athens login to read the whole thing)

it lists the follow benifits
*"reduced risk of liver cancer"
*"lower incidence of Parkinson's disease and type 2 diabetes"
*"reduces the risk of kidney stones"
*"owers the risk of gallstones and, intriguingly, suicide"

most of the research saying caffeine is bad comes from people injecting huge amounts into rats. (you can't add it to their food cos its too bitter)

so, drink up.

It seems that you don't know the downsides:

Cerebral allergy is an allergy to a substance, which targets vulnerable brain tissue and alters brain function. Masked cerebral allergy can cause symptoms of mental illness (Walker, 1996; Rippere, 1984; Sheinken et al., 1979). Symptoms range from minimal reactions to severe psychotic states, which may include irrational behavior, disruptions in attention, lack of focus and comprehension, mood changes, lack of organizational skills, abrupt shifting of activities, delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia (Sheinken et al., 1979; McManamy et al., 1936).

An allergic reaction to caffeine manifests as anaphylaxis (Przybilla et al., 1983). During a state of caffeine anaphylaxis, the body enters the fight or flight mode, which may be mistaken as hyperactivity, anxiety, or panic disorder. Caffeine anaphylaxis causes cerebral vasculitis, leads to the breakdown of the blood brain barrier, and generates toxic dementia.

Toxic dementia induced by a stimulant or other toxin affects function of all brain areas (Jacques, 1992). Several signs of toxic dementia are memory impairment, deterioration of social and intellectual behavior, and attention deficits (Allen et al., 2001; Jacques, 1992; Headlee, 1948).

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), assumed to affect children, (though of late, adult onset ADD is grabbing a slice of the pie of psychiatric disorders), is indistinguishable from caffeine allergy. Claudia Miller, M.D. stresses that a chemical sensitivity, which includes caffeine as a chemical capable of inducing sensitivity, can induce attention deficits with hyperactivity (Miller, 1997).

Deteriorating intellect, the first stage of caffeine induced allergic toxicity masquerades as ADD. Inability to concentrate, lack of comprehension, lack of focus, hyperactivity, delusions, and disorganized thought processes are hallmark signs of caffeine allergy. An allergic reaction to caffeine results in poisoning of the prefrontal cortex. Damage to the underside area on the prefrontal cortex, above the eye sockets, generally renders a person absent minded and interferes with the ability to monitor personal activities (Carter, 1998). Injury results in loss of verbal and social inhibition, interferes with focus and memory (Eliot, 1999), and suppresses math skills (Carter, 1998).

In studies involving comprehension skills, as in mathematics and logical reasoning, caffeine has either exhibited no change, or has actually depleted performance (Braun, 1997). Caffeine may jeopardize math skills and detailed projects, which require additional thought (Serafin, 1996; NTP Chemical, 1991).

Caffeine anaphylaxis interferes with the ability to focus. Sitting still becomes a project. Raising the catecholamine level, caffeine produces additional dopamine, which increases locomotive movement. Agitation is associated with excess dopamine (Carter, 1998).

Caffeine causes faster speech and mobility in children (Nehlig et al., 1992). With 80% of the world’s population consuming caffeine, most persons have remained stimulated since childhood. Stimulated adults can’t detect caffeine-induced changes in themselves or in children. Misjudging a child’s natural state, adults assume children should speak and act at the same rate as stimulated adults. People forget that we are born relaxed. Acceleration of speech and action indicates mania (Victor et al., 2001; Restak, 1984), associated with bipolar affective disorder. Manic symptoms affect children. Psychiatrically hospitalized manic children display symptoms of ADD (Carlson et al., 1998).

Complaints of lack of focus, failing memory, and other mental abnormalities, signify hypomania, a lesser degree of mania (Victor, 2001), which accompanies the first stage of ongoing-caffeine-induced-anaphylaxis-induced fight or flight dementia. Unable to correlate the patient’s complaints with a textbook disorder, physicians assume ADD.

According to the American Psychiatric Association, which classifies caffeine as a substance, substance intoxication can present with disturbance in thinking, judgment, perception, attention, motor activity, and social functioning (1994). Caffeine toxicity can induce restlessness, agitation, irritability, confusion, and delerium (Steinman, 2001; Fisher Scientific, 1997; Turkington, 1994; Shen et al., 1979). In addition, anaphylaxis can induce delerium (Kaplan, 2000).

Unlike Stephen Cherniske, aware of instinct warning him that caffeine was affecting his behavior (Cherniske, 1998), a child does not know. A youngster can’t feel the mild stimulant rush because the underdeveloped body has developed a tolerance. Similarly, a toxic adult loses natural insight and can’t recognize caffeine induced intellect and personality changes (Shen, 1979; McManamy, 1936; Crothers, 1902).

During partial withdrawal, the body metabolizes some caffeine, saturating cells. Clarity struggles to return. Symptoms of partial withdrawal can overlap traits of poisoning (Strain et al., 1997) and can mimic depression (Hirsch, 1984). As the noradrenaline level diminishes, symptoms of depression set in (Restak, 1994, Ackerman, 1992). Caffeine induced withdrawal depression can manifest as hyperactivity, lethargy, irritability, confusion, and lack of focus. The glucose level, which rises along with adrenaline (Davidson et al., 1969) and remains elevated during the body’s struggle to maintain homeostasis, drops. A decrease in glucose encourages lack of motivation, which may also mimic depression.

As Allbutt and Dixon stressed, in 1909, regarding caffeine, another “dose of the poison” provides minor relief, but continues to jeopardize organs (1909). A return to caffeine intake increases noradrenaline, heightening the fight or flight response. In turn, adrenaline, dopamine, and glucose increase, thus lifting depression. With continued substance exposure, toxins accumulate (Van Winkle, 2000).

Caffeine allergy is a deceptive allergy. Ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis reduces allergic inflammation and maintains organ stimulation. Endogenous glucocorticoids (including cortisol) inhibit inflammation (Claman, 1983). Theophylline is the principle therapy for asthma. All forms of theophylline maintain open bronchial passages, allowing for easier breathing. During ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis, airways remain open.

Adrenaline, the drug of choice for anaphylaxis, is always present in a caffeine consumer. By suppressing phosphodiesterase release, caffeine (Davidson, 1969) increases cyclic AMP. Excess amounts of cyclic AMP inhibit histamine production (Dykewicz, 2001; Ernst et al., 1999). Phosphodiesterase inhibitors inhibit histamine release (Raderer et al., 1995).

Cyclic AMP is increased in patients diagnosed as schizophrenic and many individuals diagnosed with affective disorders (Nishino et al., 1993; Erban et al., 1980; Biederman et al., 1977). Histamine is reduced in persons diagnosed with schizophrenia, a late stage of ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis.

Although the histamine level is low in schizophrenics (Malek-Ahmadi et al., 1976; Hoffer et al., 1967), schizophrenic patients exhibit a marked tolerance to histamine (Lea, 1955). This suggests, in the case of caffeine anaphylaxis, that during the onset stage of schizophrenia, when anaphylaxis induced hyperactivity, or anaphylaxis induced panic symptoms were mistaken as ADD, anxiety, or panic, (before continued cerebral poisoning), histamine was increased but the allergy went undetected.

Symptoms of allergic anxiety (Bonner, 2000; Kaplan, 2000; Walsh, 2000) may be mistaken as anxiety neurosis, considered an onset symptom of schizophrenia. When a young person experiencing a first anxiety episode arrives in an emergency room, doctors suspect a developing schizophrenia (Victor, 2001).

Attention and memory deficits accompany schizophrenia (Zuffante et al., 2001; Goldberg et al., 1993). Researchers theorize that prior to the onset of schizophrenia changes in a person’s cognition may be subtle (Goldberg, 1993).

Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) and other phenothiazine drugs exhibit an anti-histamine effect (Sifton, 1994; Malek-Ahmadi, 1976), similar to diphenhydramine (Benadryl). A person allergic to caffeine, taking a phenothiazine medication, will experience relief of the physical manifestations of ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis. In addition, phenothiazine medications reduce allergic induced abnormal psychological symptoms, including a reduction in paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions, and generate a return of partial insight, focus, and comprehension.

Ongoing caffeine allergy induces a progressive toxic dementia (McManamy, 1936). In a caffeine allergic person, each caffeine or theophylline dose increases toxin accumulation. A buildup of caffeine, which may exceed tolerance level, saturates the ability of metabolism (Carrillo et al., 2000; Nehlig, 1999); rate of drug accumulation exceeds rate of elimination. Introducing a stimulant into a caffeine allergic individual’s system will further poison the frontal cortex and hypothalamus and continue to mask allergic symptoms of caffeine anaphylaxis. Continued stimulant use increases toxic psychosis, which results in decreased affect and deterioration of mental abilities.

-----------------------------------

1) Do you consume more than two cups of coffee, tea or cola or chocolate in a day?
2) Do you feel fatigued on and off during the day?
3) Do you go through massive emotional mood swings during the day?
4) Do you suffer from frequent headaches?
5) Do you suffer from constipation or are you dependent on tea or coffee in the morning for clearing your bowels?
6) Do you suffer from acidity or heartburn?
7) Do you feel a generalized pain in the neck, shoulders and back region and a sensation of discomfort in the legs, hands and stomach?
8)) Do you suffer from a burning sensation, fatigue and heaviness in the eyes?
9)Do you have difficulty in going to sleep?
10) Do you wake up in the morning feeling dead tired?
11) Are you easily irritable?
12) Do you suffer from irregular or rapid heartbeats?
13) Do you often feel dizzy?
14) Do you have high blood pressure problems apart from anxiety problems?
15) Do you have ulcers?
16) Do you have problems concentrating without your regular cup of coffee?
17) Do your hands tremor?
18)) Do you feel dehydrated?

If 10 or more of the questions have a positive answer, its time to sit up and listen to your body signals. Caffeine can cause serious damage to your health. Wean yourself of the habit slowly and steadily, preferably with the help of the dietician.

xequence
November 22nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Coffee is decent, but I dont see how anyone can drink it more then once a day. Even then its alot :P

matthew
November 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Coffee is decent, but I dont see how anyone can drink it more then once a day. Even then its alot :P
Give it a few years. :)

jadugarr
November 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
-----------------------------------

1) Do you consume more than two cups of coffee, tea or cola or chocolate in a day?
2) Do you feel fatigued on and off during the day?
4) Do you suffer from frequent headaches?
10) Do you wake up in the morning feeling dead tired?
13) Do you often feel dizzy?
16) Do you have problems concentrating without your regular cup of coffee?
17) Do your hands tremor?
18)) Do you feel dehydrated?

I only answered yes to 8 of them, so I guess I'm ok. A lot of those syptoms are very generic though and can be caused by anything. Most of mine are related to MS.

Oh and there is a huge difference between the amount of caffeine in a serving of coffee, tea, soda and chocolate. Especially if you have good coffee :D.

zenwhen
November 23rd, 2005, 12:10 AM

How about learning the meaning of the word subjective? "Better" isn't a word that can be used here.

majikstreet
November 23rd, 2005, 12:29 AM
I don't drink coffee. I'm waaaay to young for coffee... (12)

matthew
November 23rd, 2005, 12:44 AM
How about learning the meaning of the word subjective? "Better" isn't a word that can be used here.
I have heard of the word subjective. Here's the dictionary definition:
sub&#183;jec&#183;tive (shttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gifb-jhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ebreve.gifkhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifthttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ibreve.gifv) adj.
1. Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.
2. Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.

I have three responses to your statement above:

1) Your rudeness was unnecessary. You could easily have said, "I think taste is a matter of preference and not necessarliy an absolute thing. It seems you are being rather subjective in your statement as there are many who would prefer the opposite from you." This would not have compromised the meaning of your statement in any way whatsoever but it would have made you both interesting and more likely to be listened to instead of being written off or ignored or responded to angrily.

2) Since you seemed so interested in being technical about the language being used while discussing something so trivial as coffee then you should realize that you are wrong anyway. One may speak qualitatively and objectively about the actual beans being used in the different types of coffee. Some require more precise care while growing, more careful and exact roasting, and greater attention to detail in the brewing process. There are actual, scientific measurements to judge coffee on the world markets in order to assign a value for sale and trade. In this sense I most certainly can say one is "better" than the other. That isn't how I was intending to use the word in the phrase you objected to, but that wasn't your real point anyway, was it?

3) Your hostility just took the fun out of the discussion. What was merely playful banter and polite teasing has been tainted by your passive-aggressive approach to communication. I really have no interest in this discussion with you going any further, but I did feel a need to address your very public insult in a public way.

matthew
November 23rd, 2005, 12:48 AM
I don't drink coffee. I'm waaaay to young for coffee... (12)
Really? I wouldn't have guessed that. You come across as intelligent and mature.

BTW, I started drinking coffee when I was 11. :)

majikstreet
November 23rd, 2005, 01:04 AM
Really? I wouldn't have guessed that. You come across as intelligent and mature.

BTW, I started drinking coffee when I was 11. :)
I need that eyes popping out smiley for "BTW, I started drinking coffee when I was 11."..

NMUrugbysteve
November 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
FWIW, don't buy it from the dippy organic foods store, you should be able to find a Latin American gocer in your Michigan area that sells real quality stuff. I like Rosamonte, but can't get it here, so get 500g bags of Cruz de Malta for $2USD. I see a lot of folks on the internet trying to gouge people pricewise, while posing as earth friendly hippie types. LOL

If you don't have a gourd, a French press makes great mate.

That's really amusing because the place i discovered it was at the dippy organic foods store in my area. I'll have to look into that Cruz de Malta stuff. And I've got a gourd, because that's just cool. Is $5 US for a kilo of the Cruz de Malta worth it?

*edit*
If you want some rosamonte try Amigofoods dot Com.

sisiwong
November 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
I only know neslte~:razz:

bored2k
November 23rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
You don like beer, dont like coffe, lemme guess.. dont like women too? :D
You don't seem to like the existance of your account ;).

Pablo_Escobar
November 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Strong coffee and pour some lemon into the coffee - no sugar !!!!

That was the best thing to keep me up when I had to work through the whole night without sleep back at the Uni :)

23meg
November 23rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Strong coffee and pour some lemon into the coffee - no sugar !!!!
Thanks for reminding; that's exactly what I need to stay up now.

Pablo_Escobar
November 23rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks for reminding; that's exactly what I need to stay up now.
Be wary 23meg because if You overdo this mixture it can cause severe damage to Your functionalty :D
Once too much of this mixture caused - no work done, no way of sitting in one place and concentrating on anything :)

tomwell
November 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Death by coffee Kicked some ass!! LMAO!!! 80 cups of drip coffee... wonder what happens if i actually use a drip to ingest it??? :D

Peace

Tom

senectus
November 23rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
I used to love coffee till about 2 years ago.. now I seem to have a sort of intolerance to it :-(
I still have one every few weeks or so.. My fav is an Affogato (1 scoop of ice-cream with two shots of espresso over the top of it :-D

I am now VERY fond of "Green and Black's - Organic Drinking Chocolate". (http://www.greenandblacks.com/beverages.php) _THE_ best hot chocolate on the market.. yummm

tomwell
November 23rd, 2005, 08:17 PM
Senectus,

Nice ad...!!!

What chocolate company do you work for??? LMAO

Peace

Tom

PS Green & blacks kicks some serious chocolatey ass!!! :oD

matthew
November 23rd, 2005, 08:51 PM
I need that eyes popping out smiley for "BTW, I started drinking coffee when I was 11.".. I should probably explain that I didn't start drinking it regularly until I was in college...when I became seriously addicted. Now I am down to one cup a day (on average), every morning. It may still be an addiction, but it's not enough to do any real harm. If I'm out in the afternoon and have a meeting or some time to kill I may hang out at the cafe for a bit and have an espresso or something, but that's less than once a week. When I was 11 I started drinking it because every time I would visit a relative's house from my grandparent's generation they would serve me a slice of pie/strudel/etc and a cup of coffee and they would be hurt if I didn't eat/drink it (German family, great food!). That summer I stayed with my widowed grandmother and she took me to visit every living relative within two hours drive of her house, sometimes two different places per day. I learned to like coffee and I gained 20 pounds. Eventually I grew taller to fit the weight, but I never lost the coffee love.

Minyaliel
November 23rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
I couldn't live without my teacup... coffee's just an alternative if I'm chatting with friends in a caf&#233;, and then usually only something latte/ latte macchiato. I can't stand the taste of black coffee :P Give me a nice cup of real, english tea with milk and sugar in the morning and a big supply green tea later on and I'm happy ;) People've started nicknaming me "Tea" or "Teacup" because I usually walk around with one in my hand lol

darkmatter
November 23rd, 2005, 11:25 PM
Four pots a day...They way I brew my coffee would kill most people.:p

Littleweseth
November 24th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Coffee? Who the hell drinks that stuff?

[waits to get flamed to a golden brown, seeing how this is a tech forum and all.]

Seriously though, I can't drink it - coffee + empty stomach results in a verry hurty hour or so for me. Gimme a mug of that gool 'ole fashioned teapot-brewed tea any time, preferably large, hot, and strong with a little milk.

As a piece of trivia, was it coffee/caffeine people used to introduce to say, a small stream, in order to stun the fish for easy catching? It's probably just my whacked out just-awake brain bootstrapping here, since you'd think that if anything it would make the fish go hypo and swim away really damned fast.

matthew
November 24th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Coffee? Who the hell drinks that stuff?
LOL!

As a piece of trivia, was it coffee/caffeine people used to introduce to say, a small stream, in order to stun the fish for easy catching? It's probably just my whacked out just-awake brain bootstrapping here, since you'd think that if anything it would make the fish go hypo and swim away really damned fast.I haven't heard that. I do recall a story about Sufi monks using coffee beans to induce ecstatic spiritual experiences like trances and so on.

sapo
November 24th, 2005, 03:08 AM
You don't seem to like the existance of your account ;).
Just kidding, just kidding.. no stress please
http://www.jbelectric.us/ot/Big%20Smiles/bigeek.gif

matthew
November 24th, 2005, 03:27 AM
http://www.jbelectric.us/ot/Big%20Smiles/bigeek.gifI think we found our "eyes popping out" smiley!

Littleweseth
November 24th, 2005, 06:16 AM
I haven't heard that. I do recall a story about Sufi monks using coffee beans to induce ecstatic spiritual experiences like trances and so on.
Who are the sufi monks? Where do I join up? Any monastic order that likes to do the whole trances thing sounds cool to me!

[joking, sadly.]

matthew
November 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Who are the sufi monks? Where do I join up? Any monastic order that likes to do the whole trances thing sounds cool to me!

[joking, sadly.]
Just in case... :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism

majikstreet
November 25th, 2005, 12:18 AM
I think we found our "eyes popping out" smiley!
yes!

JoshPowell
November 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I love ubuntu, and hate coffee. Wierd
Ubuntu and tea all the way, brother ;)

Josh

Darrin
November 25th, 2005, 12:49 AM
cooffeeeeee. oooohhhhhh goooooood :D

I love coffee. Nice and and strong. No cream, no sugar. I do have an occassional latte.

jesse
April 26th, 2006, 03:51 AM
My two favorite variations of Turkish coffee are the way they make it in places like the Czech Republic and Poland, by putting a tablespoon of espresso grounds in a cup and pouring boiling water onto it, and the way it's made in places like Bosnia.

The Bosnian way of making it takes more work though.

1. Bring water in a kettle to a boil.
2. Once boiling remove it from atop the flame.
3. When the bubbling has stopped, place several heaping tablespoons of coffee grounds into the kettle.
4. Turn the flame to medium and put it back onto the flame, burner or whatever, but remove it a few seconds later just when the whole thing is about to overflow.
5. Do this several times until you have cute little coffee bubbles on the surface.
(Sometimes these will merge to form one giant bubble, and you will know the coffee is really done when that bubble finally bursts.)

Roma make it the same way.

:D

woedend
April 26th, 2006, 04:10 AM
LOL, I always wondered how people manage to find these 6 month old threads. Not an insult to you, as I had a lot of fun reading through the entire 7 pages, cool thread, but just wonder.