PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NOOB Screen Resolution HELP!

deagledude
September 30th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hey,

I just set up a dual boot with windows vista and Ubuntu 8.04 cause I heard Ubuntu was awesome. I set it up about 2 days ago, and everything was working fine, i booted up vista and ubuntu several times without any problems, then i log into vista, and the screen resolution is horrible. everything is huge, i checked the screen resolution settings in vista, and it is set at the highest (1024x768 ), but it is still off. Ubuntu is working fine, but i dont know how to fix vista, and i dont know what is wrong. Please help, I dont know much about ubuntu, i have only been using it for like 2 days. Otherwise, Ubuntu Rocks.

EDIT: Ubuntu also has a screen resolution problem, it is huge also. Also, firefox does not work either for some reason. I need all the help i can get.

Cope57
September 30th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Update your video drivers, that should be all.

deagledude
September 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I just updated the drivers, and that didnt change anything, any more suggestions?

maruthi_s@infosys.com
September 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hi

Please go through this below thread. This might help you to resolve the issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=933150

deagledude
October 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
i found what was causing the problem. it was the power cord from my monitor, it was like half way out, then i unplugged it and plugged it back in and everything went back to normal, i thought that was pretty weird. anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Ethereal PanMan
October 1st, 2008, 01:09 AM
I know it sounds weird, but try using the VGA output instead of the DVI, if that is what you are using.

Cheers!

coolethan
October 1st, 2008, 02:07 AM
Hey i've been having problems with my screen resolution too. i decided to hijack this thread instead of making yet another screen resolution thread. i'm pretty close to figuring it out i have added the screens and graphics thing to the main menu which is where i used to go in 7.10 if i had resolution troubles but it doesn't open up the sceens and graphics window. it does the whole loading thing and i have to type in the administration password but it doesn't open the window so i can't make any adjustments.