PDA

View Full Version : video editing?

EnGorDiaz
September 30th, 2008, 01:44 AM
i was going to get windows for my video editing but now im thinking osx is this a wise choice?

pelle.k
September 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'm sure OSX is a fine choice for video editing, but from personal experience, "Sony Vegas" running XP is as good as it gets.
You should at least try it out (there's a demo/trial version).
IMHO it's strikes a perfect balance of being easy to work with, while being quite a powerful video editing solution.

EnGorDiaz
September 30th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I'm sure OSX is a fine choice for video editing, but from personal experience, "Sony Vegas" running XP is as good as it gets.
You should at least try it out (there's a demo/trial version).
IMHO it's strikes a perfect balance of being easy to work with, while being quite a powerful video editing solution.

hmmm no im not going to windows no matter what me an my computer wont ever be expose to that crap again im buying a plain osx leopard dvd for an olf g4 laptop it has 512 ram im going to upgrae the ram an the hard drive i wish i could upgrade the graphics on it aswell not exactly easy but i think i can do it :)

eldragon
September 30th, 2008, 02:13 AM
why arent you considering linux native solutions....

for professional multitrack editing: cinelerra
for simple tasks: kino

EnGorDiaz
September 30th, 2008, 02:17 AM
why arent you considering linux native solutions....

for professional multitrack editing: cinelerra
for simple tasks: kino

im not using dv files... ive used pitivi and my ban is using sync software its going to be for that also

EnGorDiaz
September 30th, 2008, 02:18 AM
i want it all bundled also macs packaging system is very similiar to linux

EnGorDiaz
September 30th, 2008, 02:19 AM
im also looking at the experience side of things also

binbash
September 30th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I didnt try editing with OSX but "Sony Vegas" is quite perfect on Windows

TBOL3
September 30th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Wait, I'm confused. First, you said that you were thinking of buying xp, until you saw a copy of OS X you wanted. And now you will never expose your pc to windows 'crap' again? I don't get it.

BTW, I don't know what you are doing, but a good old copy of blender has always served my video editing needs (except for importing dv video from a camera).

50words
September 30th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Yes, get a Mac. Video editing is way behind the curve on Linux. There are good options on Windows, for for basic, user-friendly video editing, you can't beat a Mac. Although I'm not sure you are going to enjoy editing video on a G4.

Twitch6000
September 30th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Wel if you don't want to try cinelerra then I gotta say Mac for sure has great video editing software.

pelle.k
September 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with windows if you only install a few specialized programs, and keep it offline (for the most part). My machine is stable as a rock, but it's *only* doing video editing. Nothing else. It's not connected to the net (unless i do it manually).
You can buy a dirt cheap machine, just for that purpose, if your into that sort of thing.

But, i imagine video editing in OSX will do just as nice.

ghostandmachine
October 1st, 2008, 05:59 AM
+1 Sony Vegas // A friend and I have used Final Cut and Avid but Vegas has always been better (notice how I didn't say easier?) But through a ton of youtube videos, we've realized that Vegas has a lot to offer as long as you take the time to work with it.

I've tried Cinelerra but I just can't figure out what file formats work well with Cinelerra. Every time I try to load a video into it, either it won't give me a picture, or not picture and no audio (loud static) or the program shuts down and I get a weird error message that no one in the forums are able to answer (at least from what I've seen.)

Actually the people who are in control of the maintained version of Cinelerra-CV are developing a new NL video editor called Lumiera -- http://lumiera.org/

It's still in the alpha stages and is nowhere near ready for actual video editing but I'm holding out for this one.

ssam
October 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
what video editing software are you planning to to use under MacOS X? iMovie is quite basic, and final cut is very expensive (even iMovie is not free (you may get an old version preinstalled)).

EnGorDiaz
October 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
well im thinking of making music videos with really good quality final cut for me i might just get a g5 at christmas

i also want to experience it its one system i havent experienced yet