PDA

View Full Version : We need a standard for calculator buttons

BWF89
November 22nd, 2005, 04:13 AM
They need to pass some kind of law that states that every calculator sold in the US has it's buttons arranged in the same order. It's very confusing when you use a couple of calculators a day depending on where you are and they all have different button arrangements, making you:
1. hit the wrong button, not realise it, and get the wrong answer or
2. spend time scanning the keys to find out what's what

I took 4 calculators sitting around my house and wrote their button arrangements below seperated by a "-".

Is anyone else having the same problems?

Sq root - 7 - 8 - 9 - multiply - divide
% - 4 - 5 - 6 - subtract - MRC
+/- - 1 - 2 - 3 - add - M-
ON/C - 0 - . - equals - M+

MRC - M- - M+
back - GT - +/- - CE - ON/C
7 - 8 - 9 - % - sq root
4 - 5 - 6 - multiply - divide
1 - 2 - 3 - add - subtract
0 - 00 - . - equals

ON/C - CE - MRC - M- - M+
7 - 8 - 9 - multiply - divide
4 - 5 - 6 - subtract - sq root
1 - 2 - 3 - add - %
0 - . - +/- - equals

Back - CE - C
MC - 7 - 8 - 9 - divide - sq root
MR - 4 - 5 - 6 - multiply - %
MS - 1 - 2 - 3 - subtract - 1/x
M+ - 0 - +/- - . - add - equals

erikpiper
November 22nd, 2005, 04:49 AM
But what if you dont like the standard layout?

Lovechild
November 22nd, 2005, 04:54 AM
There is actually a standard for this as I recall.

BWF89
November 22nd, 2005, 04:59 AM
But what if you dont like the standard layout?
What if someone thinks a mile should be 5,281 feet instead of 5,280 feet.

Lovechild
November 22nd, 2005, 06:09 AM

We burn the heretic of course.

ltmon
November 22nd, 2005, 06:23 AM

What if someone wants to use the metric system instead of going stir-crazy trying to remember all the imperial conversions :rolleyes:

Just kidding.

L.

benplaut
November 22nd, 2005, 07:50 AM
TI two line scientific calculators have a great layout, but i agree, there should be a standard (well, odt is a standard, but...)

Kvark
November 22nd, 2005, 11:02 AM
A law that makes all keyboard layouts except one illegal to use on calculators? are you mad?

For example my calcuculator is a TI 83 plus, in other words it has a lot more buttons then what the legal limit would be.

Why not make all computer keyboard layouts except US qwerty with windows keys illegal as well while you're at it. To spare you the annoyance of ever encountering the dvorak layout, a keyboard that has non english signs on it, or the special syllable layout that is neccessary for texting live TV broadcasts fast enough...

There are already way too many laws and you want to add yet another one that doesn't do anything useful like protecting people from something... If you want the same button arrangement on all your calculators then don't buy calculators that has a different layout then the ones you already have. If you don't like the calculators you find at your workplace then bring your own calculator, I'm sure it fits nicely into a pocket.

Brunellus
November 22nd, 2005, 02:24 PM
The mile is deprecated. Use 1.6 km for each mile to maintain backwards compatibility.

;p