PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Network printing HP F4280

absolutezero1287
September 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I recently bought an HP F4280 and it's working great. I got all the necessary software for HP printers. Ubuntu autodetected the printer and tested it as soon as it was plugged in. It was added automatically. In short, it worked perfectly.

Then I began to think...everyone at home is going to be asking me to "print this" or "scan that" for them. How can I make my new printer into a network printer?

There's a wireless G network at my home. With the router connected to my PC via a Cable modem.
Router is Linksys Wireless G WRT54G.
The other computers get internet via a Wireless-G USB Adapter WUSB54GC.

I just wanted to know if it's possible to configure my network so that people can request a printing job from another computer and have it print in the main computer (my computer).

cariboo
September 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
You need to install samba to share your printer with the rest of the computers on the network. Have a look at this guide for specifics:

www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

This will walk your through anything from a small home network to a large company network.

Jim

absolutezero1287
September 30th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks but that seems like it's overkill. It looks as if its more geared towards setups at an office or corporation.

All I wanna do is get one computer to communicate with mine in terms of printing. Does the other computer have to have samba installed too? Also, it's running XP.

absolutezero1287
October 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Bump