PDA

View Full Version : Nathive : a new image editor.

loell
September 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
the project says they also focus on usability.

http://www.nathive.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFz986m2zw

though atm the download link is dead yet. it will due on oct 6. ;)

http://www.nathive.org/download/

UbuWu
September 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Looks nice already. I think if development of it catches on it might even be able to replace the gimp in the ubuntu installation one day.

loell
September 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
gimp is now focusing on usability too. its difficult to tell if it can replace gimp. perhaps one of these days a distifction will be drawn?

nathive for novices
gimp for professionals

what makes me smile though is that the project don't want to be tagged as a gimp competitor. ;)

from their philosophy,

Show respect and gratitude to GIMP community.

UbuWu
October 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
First release scheduled for 6 October now...

Calmatory
October 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
4 days to go. Seems very interesting though. Can't wait. :)

loell
October 2nd, 2008, 11:48 PM
seem's i'm not the only one anticipating the release. :biggrin:

mister_k81
October 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hmm... I'm watching the video now, and it looks interesting. The program seems to be missing a lot of basic features at this point, but I like the direction it is going in with tabbed browsing and the easy to use, one-window interface. It could make a really nice light weight alternative to Gimp. :D

I've been disappointed with the lack of paint and image manipulation program options on Linux, so it's good to see another one in development.

I'll definitely download the beta when it comes out.

Bungo Pony
October 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
For simple tasks, I normally use Kolourpaint.

If Nathive makes support for dual mouse, I might be interested.

UbuWu
October 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
It is available for download now. It is still very very basic, but it is a nice start. I like it so far.

sicofante
October 8th, 2008, 12:58 AM
The video doesn't look promising to me. If there's no one in the project who can make good use of a paint program I wonder who are they looking at for designing their software. No "persona", no good design.

pt123
November 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
There public release is out now
http://www.nathive.org/news/20081124/

bruce89
November 28th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I must say the code style is rather odd (C):

dialog_new_rotate()
{

No return type
No parameter list

Of course, code style isn't everything, and at least they get the braces right (separate lines).

init1
November 28th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Seems extremely basic.

SuperSonic4
November 28th, 2008, 05:10 AM
It looks too much like gnome for me and my kde desktop. I'll stick to GIMP and Kolourpaint XD

loell
November 28th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Seems extremely basic.

yet.. and maybe for quite awhile.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I must say the code style is rather odd (C):

dialog_new_rotate()
{

No return type
No parameter list

Of course, code style isn't everything, and at least they get the braces right (separate lines).

And tabs for indenting. I like this program. The less space-key indenting there is, the sooner the world will be mine! :P

hessiess
November 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM
This would be absolutly terrable for editing multiple images at the same time, sutch as cloan-brushing from one image to anouther, which is were GIMP's multi-window interface rilly shines.

Two words, Not Impressed.

loell
November 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM
This would be absolutly terrable for editing multiple images at the same time, sutch as cloan-brushing from one image to anouther, which is were GIMP's multi-window interface rilly shines.

Two words, Not Impressed.

you can actually detach the tabs in 1.0.x :)

pt123
November 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Seems extremely basic.

I thought that was the idea behind it. As GIMP is too powerful for a noobie. Not that I am one, but sometimes I just need to crop a screenshot fast.

hessiess
November 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I think i know why comments on the youtube video have been disabled, to avoid a large number of 'its %^&*' syled comments ;)

After watching the video again, its obvious that this program is wasting a *LOT* of screen space, just look at the monstor gap next to the 'file' menus.