PDA

View Full Version : Project 10 to the 100 - Discuss ideas here!

Ub1476
September 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
For those who do not know, Google has just recently launched a project, project 10 to the 100 (http://www.project10tothe100.com/index.html), which goal is to create a better world within all possible categories.

The deadline for submitting ideas is October 20th, 2008.

How it works

Project 10100 (pronounced "Project 10 to the 100th") is a call for ideas to change the world by helping as many people as possible. Here's how to join in.

1. Send us your idea by October 20th.
Simply fill out the submission form giving us the gist of your idea. You can supplement your proposal with a 30-second video.

2. Voting on ideas begins on January 27th.
We'll post a selection of one hundred ideas and ask you, the public, to choose twenty semi-finalists. Then an advisory board will select up to five final ideas. Send me a reminder to vote.

3. We'll help bring these ideas to life.
We're committing $10 million to implement these projects, and our goal is to help as many people as possible. So remember, money may provide a jumpstart, but the idea is the thing.

Good luck, and may those who help the most win.

I thought maybe we could discuss some ideas here. Remember that many brains think better than one!

Ub1476
September 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Alright, I don't have much overall knowledge about the world, which in other words mean that I don't know how to help people in an easy, smart and initiative way, but I think projects such as OLPC (one laptop per child), is a very good idea for the education category.

It's already being worked on, but it has had a slow start. And surely could be better. I think that installed solar panels on the notebook would be good for energy savings. But it might not provide enough energy for the laptop/battery?

Just babbling, trying to fire up this thread. :)

uberdonkey5
September 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM
fantastic idea, got a couple of ideas myself, but its amazing, when you actually think about the practicality of such a project, suddenly it seems harder to solve all the worlds problems!

Having studied a little about development, its corruption (not lack of food per se) which causes most poverty. I think supporting political change is one of the best ways to help people, and things like internet (and one laptop per child as mentioned above) is an excellent way to get people educated and to help civilians resist government oppression and exploitation.

Ub1476
September 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Truth, and since the press is the fourth estate, you could say internet might be the fifth or a mix in between.

Does anyone have any political examples where a support in political changes could be helpful? Or cases where corruption has occurred and it was possible to prevent so?