PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] CD Device Detection Fails (Alternate CD)

fl4ke
September 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Hi
I encountered a problem when trying to install xubuntu with the alternate install CD on an old Dell laptop. It has only 128 MBs of RAM, so the normal installer won't work. Now, after I select the language etc, it tries to identify my CD-ROM device, but the test will fail and prompt that the CD maybe isn't inserted.
So I think there are some drivers for my CD drive missing. Is there a way to load a driver or an other method to install on a low-RAM PC?
Thanks in advance,
Lucas

snowpine
September 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Lucas, 128mb of ram is borderline for Xubuntu (256mb is recommended). Have you considered trying Fluxbuntu? It should install quite well with 128mb.

Please tell more details about your laptop. I have a Dell Latitude Cpx, which is a 500mhz pentium 3 with 256mb of ram, originally running Windows 98. I have successfully installed Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, Crunchbang, and many other distros on it, so I know it can be done. :)

ps No extra drivers were necessary; Linux recognized my Dell CD-ROM drive automatically.

fl4ke
September 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, I've got a Latitude CPi Pentium 2 with 366 MHz, which also ran Win 98. So I will try the Fluxbuntu, didn't hear of that before, so thanks for the hint. I'll tell if it worked.

snowpine
September 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Ouch, pentium 2 with 128mb is very "old school" (no offense). I think it is really fun to spruce up old computers with Linux, but there are limits. If none of the 'buntu family gives good performance on that thing, there are some far lighter options like DSL (Damn Small Linux), Puppy, SliTaz, and DeLi linux. Even though this is the Ubuntu Forum, a lot of us are experienced with these other distros as well and can give you advice.

Good luck!