PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade to hardy doesn't give me firefox3

tomgarvin
September 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
i just upgraded to hardy heron, but i don't get firefox3.

via synaptic, i've uninstalled (completely) firefox, then rebooted, then reinstalled the base package (firefox) which auto-required firefox-3.0. i also installed firefox-3.0-gnome-support since i run gnome. however, when i launch firefox, then check Help>About Mozilla FireFox... i still get Firefox/2.0.0.14.

what's up with that?

i suppose i'd be happy to install firefox from tarball, but i'd like to make the package work. any thoughts?

Rayaz
September 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Have you checked the repositories? Open synaptic and go to repositories. You should have hardy enabled to be able to install firefox 3.

tomgarvin
September 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
yeah, i know that i needed hardy to get firefox 3... prior to my move to hardy, that firefox update just hung there and wouldn't let me act upon since i hadn't upgraded.

i've checked the repositories, and turned a few more things on in the updates tab (namely pre-release), but that didn't seem to help. did you have something specific that i should check in the repositories area?

again, i see the firefox-3.0 packages, and synaptic doesn't bark when i install them... it's just after the process, it still launches into firefox-1.0.

i do have a /usr/bin/firefox and /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu... but they both launch firefox 2.0.

tomgarvin
September 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
after complete removal of all synaptic firefox packages, i still had /usr/lib/firefox, /usr/bin/firefox, /opt/firefox, /usr/share/firefox and /etc/firefox. i'm guessing that i sleep-installed firefox from tarball at some point and forgot about it.

i moved all those directories/files to firefox.bak, then reinstalled from synaptic... and everything seems good. all i had to do was re-symlink /usr/bin/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox-3.0.

hope that helps someone down the line. :D

Ray-20871
November 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I'm having the same problem. Before I head down your path, what did you do to your bookmarks, etc. before you removed firefox