PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a book on networking for beginners

andyjones_au
September 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to linux and ubuntu and I'm still learning it, and I'm absolutely loving it so far.

I find that I am particularly weak in the area of computer networking - I know embarrassingly little even about how my own home wifi network operates.

Is there a book out there that any ubuntu user would recommend for me to read? I know there are lots of beginners guides out there, but I would like to know which one you guys have read and would recommend.

Thankyou!

Het Irv
September 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
The N+ book for Dummies is awesome (any of the dummies books for that matter).

http://www.amazon.com/Network-Certification-Dummies-CD-ROM-Gilster/dp/0764516213/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222702716&sr=8-1

It covers alot and goes into a bit of depth, but its a great place to start if you know a little about computers already.

YourSurrogateGod
October 13th, 2008, 10:13 PM
What if you want something that's more intermediate or advanced? Also, your link deals with networking in general, but does not seem to be Linux oriented especially. :)

cariboo
October 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Networking is pretty well the same whethter it is Linux, Windows, BSD or Solaris. Any basic networking book would be a great help on any system. As a matter of fact the TCP/IP stack in Windows had a BSD license for many years, I don't know if it is still the same for XP and Vista.

Jim