PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ticked Checkboxes appear as opaque grey box

carpii
September 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I have a problem with my KDE 3.5.9 Desktop. (Kubuntu 8.04)

Whenever i tick a checkbox, instead of showing it ticked, it appears as an opaque grey box. This is also true for radio buttons

When they are unticked they look fine
Also when they are ticked but not focused, they are fine too

Its only when I focus a ticked control (or go to tick one) that it appears badly

I wonder if maybe I have a corrupt theme, or is this some other problem. Pelase help as its driving me crazy :(

carpii
November 14th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Sorry to bump this

Can anyone else at least confirm they are having the same problem, even if you dont know how to fix it?

Thanks

smilingfrog
January 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm having the same problem. I have noticed it more with gnome interfaces in KDE rather than with native KDE applications. For instance, the check boxes and radio boxes are opaque in Firefox, but not in Konqueror.
I have noticed it with the minesweeper game, and using the system monitor.
Most annoying is with firefox. I haven't found a workaround yet.

smilingfrog
January 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I found a fix here http://blog.larsneumann.net/2008/09/firefox-3-annoying-shade-on-checkboxes-and-radio-buttons/

The fix that worked for me is to install the package “gtk2-engine-qtcurve”, then open kcontrol and go to Appearance -> GTK Styles and change the GTK Styles to “QtCurve”.

Restart firefox and it should work.
G

carpii
January 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the tip. However Im struggling to install it...

~> sudo apt-get install gtk2-engine-qtcurve
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package gtk2-engine-qtcurve

Is it something I need to download from elsewhere ?
Also can you confirm youre on KDE 3.5 rather than KDE 4.x

Thanks

carpii
January 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Got it. I should have searched synaptic first

Incase anyone else has same problem, the package is called gtk2-engines-qtcurve (note the S in engines)

Thanks so much, works a treat. Feels like a breath of fresh air not to have this problem anymore :))