PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Printer Advice

employeeno5
September 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hey everyone.

I wasn't sure where was best to post this, so here we go.

I know nothing about printers. I've actually never owned a printer, I've always printed things at school when I was younger and presently at the office.

My girlfriend would really like for us to have a printer in our home and I suppose she's right. Color printing and photo printing would be preferred but not necessary .

So here's the deal, we each use laptops. I've got a Dell running Ubuntu 8.04, she uses a G4 iBook running OS X 10.4.
Because we both use laptops, I imagine a wireless printer would be preferable.

I've looked at the Ubuntu Hardware list for printers, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters, but I'm having a hard time determining what of these computers works wirelessly (that is without checking every single model number one at a time), and if so if the compatibility listed extends to the wireless functionality or just the normal USB hookup.

Also, I don't know if I should have any reason to suspect that a printer that is wireless compatible with Linux would have any reason to not also work with OS X.

I'm wondering if maybe anyone knows that a certain model or brand happens to be golden in these regards; that it is known for high compatibility and drivers galore.

Even if anyone just has a particular brand to recommend over others because they're known for decent Linux support, that would be a huge help in wading through the muck of this process.

I'll keep digging on my own in the mean time, but on the off chance anyone knows something that works great or has any general advice, please let me know.

Thanks!

steeleyuk
September 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The support of HP printers under Linux is generally excellent. Though I've no experience with wireless types. If you get a decent HP printer such as a business type (i.e. 6940, 6980) they come with Ethernet ports which allow you to hook them up to a router/switch/etc.

You can get wireless print servers which plugin to the USB port and make a wireless printer out of a wired one but again, support can be flaky.

binbash
September 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
stick to HP if you dont want much trouble at linux.

JetskiDude911
September 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
You might benefit from getting a wireless access point or router that allows you to connect a printer to it.

employeeno5
September 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks very much to everyone for the advice. I'll stick to HP options for now.

FuturePilot
September 30th, 2008, 05:03 AM
+1 for HP. They are very well supported under Linux.

Erdaron
September 30th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Installing an HP printer on Linux was easier than on Windows in my experience (plug and play vs. very capricious drivers).

Also, I use a USB printer with my laptop at home. Since it's USB, you can just plug and unplug willy-nilly whenever you need to print something. Of course I have a very cheapo Deskjet 3940 (or thereabouts), which doesn't need any time to warm up.