PDA

View Full Version : My favourite feature..

Tadhg
September 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Well, I've been using linux for about 3 years or so but today I noticed a very simple feature I hadn't seen before and it made me go "coooooool".

Like you can preview thumbnails of photos, I noticed you can preview songs by hovering the mouse over them. Sounds stupid, but I had never noticed this before and I really like it as a feature. Is it new, or have I been very blind/deaf?

Any other cool features people have been suprised by when using Linux?

renzokuken
September 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM
its been there since i started using ubuntu (Breezy i think), and i agree, it is a very cool feature

SupaSonic
September 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Another cool little feature is this: if you're downloading a song, and it's say at 20%, you can open it in totem, and it'll show it's like 30 seconds long; once it hits 30 seconds, it'll check again, and extend the length according to the downloaded part. All of this seamlessly, without you even noticing. )

Ms_Angel_D
September 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Well, I've been using linux for about 3 years or so but today I noticed a very simple feature I hadn't seen before and it made me go "coooooool".

Like you can preview thumbnails of photos, I noticed you can preview songs by hovering the mouse over them. Sounds stupid, but I had never noticed this before and I really like it as a feature. Is it new, or have I been very blind/deaf?

Any other cool features people have been suprised by when using Linux?

I showed my husband this neat little trick after reading about it and he adores it.

You can adjust the settings for it so it will preview networked files in the same manner by opening your nautilus preferences and then under the preview tab, just look at the sound files section. ;)

JetskiDude911
September 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I remember this feature in Red Hat 8. It is pretty cool.

bruce89
September 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
its been there since i started using ubuntu (Breezy i think), and i agree, it is a very cool feature

Only if you had mpg123 installed. In GNOME 2.22, they replaced it with a part of Totem (totem-audio-preview).

bufsabre666
September 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM
i never remember it till i double click a song and dont move the mouse and i have two of the same song playing with a second or 2 between the tracks

master5o1
September 30th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Another cool little feature is this: if you're downloading a song, and it's say at 20%, you can open it in totem, and it'll show it's like 30 seconds long; once it hits 30 seconds, it'll check again, and extend the length according to the downloaded part. All of this seamlessly, without you even noticing. )

Downloading how?

Torrent? Nutella P2P? HTTP/FTP? instantaneous-teleportation-between-alpha-and-beta?

SupaSonic
September 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Downloading how?

Torrent? Nutella P2P? HTTP/FTP? instantaneous-teleportation-between-alpha-and-beta?

http, ftp probably works too. P2P doesn't usually download in the same order it's supposed to be played afaik.

renzokuken
September 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Only if you had mpg123 installed. In GNOME 2.22, they replaced it with a part of Totem (totem-audio-preview).

i did have mpg123 installed back then, but didnt realise that was responsible for it. thanks bruce, good to know

3rdalbum
September 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
This sounds really geeky, but I like being able to mount drives as an ordinary user (using pmount) and not having to specify a mountpoint, just a label.

For instance:

pmount /dev/sdb1 WALKMAN

Mounts the device under /media/WALKMAN with all the proper permissions, and I don't even need to be root.

I also like the audio previews and the world map with the sunlight marked on it.

Jim!
September 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Whoa I can't believe you've never noticed those simple features! They are awesome though;)