PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My Desktop resized and i cant change it,

Shadow20
September 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM
hello, my computer was fine yesterday but i left it on until today when i came the screen shaped like a pincushion and i can't let the screen go to full screen anymore, i tried using the monitor setting to increase the width but nothing works. how can i get rid of this wierd looking screen.
Even my boot up screen(when you see yor ram and can enter the bios menu) looks like that

here's a pic of my desktop, it doesn't really show, you have to zoom it to see the problem but my desktop is only n the middle of my screen.
please help, i am pretty new to linux.

didac
September 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Doesn't look Linux related.

Do you have a reset button in your monitor to reset it to default values? Check your monitor manual if the button is not too obvious.

BGrigg
September 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Can you attach it to another computer to confirm that it is indeed the OS causing the problem? Monitors DO die!

Shadow20
September 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I have tried the monitor reset function multiple times, i don't have any other computer to test it on, but it perfectly fine yesterday, i have cats in my room and they walk on the keyboard sometimes i am just wondering if any button on the key board or so could cause this.

mindoms
September 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
It is not in any way related to linux, if the screen is out of shape at POST screen (where you can enter BIOS)
Your monitor is damaged, get a new one. (repair won't pay)

bumanie
September 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Agreed, if it is occurring during POST, that is well before any OS begins loading, thus it could not possibly be related to ubuntu nor any other OS that may (or may not) be installed on your computer.