PDA

View Full Version : things you like to do on ubuntu?

neba
September 29th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I am really new to linux. I have Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.4. There are a lot of things I use on xp that I cant use on Linux. So I want to know is what do you like to use Linux for?

binbash
September 29th, 2008, 08:17 AM
The only thing i can't do is playing games.There are not much MMORPG games on linux platform and i don't like dual booting.Except this i can do whatever i want.

neba
September 29th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I have dual boot. and I am finding out that it really sucks. I have problem after problem. :( I am really into games. like Counter Strike Source. and I cant play that. I use Rosetta stone, I cant use that ether.

HighCommander540
September 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Its really funny, but I actually love to put different programs in different "Desks" and then when I want to use one.

Rotate my triangle (Yeah, I don't lie the cube) to find the program I want. I also have the 3D apps enabled so it looks awesome.

I have VMWare running Windows in one desk always. And I love moving the triangle and see the Windows Desktop too.

I also dual-boot and have absolutely no problems. I have VMWare running on Ubuntu too for low-level Windows apps that I don't want to reboot to use.

neba
September 29th, 2008, 08:30 AM
What two os are are booting? I like that triangle thing. Right now I just have my desktop (xp) and right next to it is my laptop (Ubuntu/Fedora). What is 3d apps?

jespdj
September 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Why don't you tell us what things you do on XP that you think you can't do on Linux? Then we can give you suggestions for software that does the same thing on Linux. Have a look at this, for example:

osalt - Find open source software alternatives to well-known commercial software (http://www.osalt.com/)
GnomeFiles - GTK+ Software Repository (http://gnomefiles.org/)

Jim!
September 29th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Mostly music and web surfing lately, haven't been doing too much on the computer in recent weeks:)

neba
September 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM
ok. I like to use Itunes, I really like the way its set up. Bluetooth headset. Rosetta stone. The game Counter Strike source. Webcams and I have some probles with my usb. I have messed with Amarok 1.4.7 a little, I do like it.

neba
September 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Mostly music and web surfing lately, haven't been doing too much on the computer in recent weeks:)

I do like how you dont need to have anti virus with linux. :)