PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Cartoon

Aljazera
September 29th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I was wondering what software(s) I could use to start my own cartoon. I have an idea for a cartoon and I want a program that I can draw it on and then a program that would allow me to piece everything together to make it a functional and fluid cartoon. I have a mixer board with 16 tracks and a piano I will be using to create my own score, but the drawing and what not is my concern.

I'm new to creating or even developing my own cartoon, so I would like to try computer medium and other mediums; but I know I'll need a computer to put everything together.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

zmjjmz
September 29th, 2008, 04:56 AM
A mixture of Rosegarden, Inkscape, and The GIMP should suffice.

MaxIBoy
September 29th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Well, if you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars, Flash is a program that works well under WINE, and it's the industry standard for computer-based 2d animation, and it allows you to avoid drawing every frame individually.

If you're willing to draw it frame by frame, the GIMP has an animation feature. Export the animation to another format, then use Kdenlive to add audio to it. Audacity is a good sound editor. All three of these programs are in the repositories.

For 3d animation, definitely go with blender, which is also in the repositories.

Aljazera
September 29th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Also, Doesn't have to be Ubuntu, would prefer Windows based programs only because school forces me to use Windows most the time.

MaxIBoy
September 29th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Same exact advice, only substitute Microsoft Movie Maker for kdenlive.

Aljazera
September 29th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Aye thanks Maxi, just looked up a flash tutorial on youtube, and it seems like a great starting point.

TheSlipstream
September 29th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I've also come across a KDE Flash replacement called Ktoon in Add and Remove, however, as a Flash user I never actually tried it. Maybe it'd be worth a look?

But if you're serious, Flash is what you need.

NET WT
September 29th, 2008, 05:43 AM
There is also Synfig (http://synfig.org/Main_Page). I have it installed, but haven't learned how to use it yet. Its available in Add/Remove. I think there is also a Windows version available.