PDA

View Full Version : Google chrome and chromium differences

smmalis
September 29th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I've searched everywhere but can't find an answer to my question. What is the difference between Chrome and Chromium?

zmjjmz
September 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I've searched everywhere but can't find an answer to my question. What is the difference between Chrome and Chromium?

Chrome is the browser itself, Chromium is the underlying architecture.
Not to be confused with Crossover Chromium, which is Chrome wrapped up in a nice little WINE package.

smmalis
September 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I've heard that Chrome is open source. Is it truly open? Or are they referring to chromium?

mike1234
September 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Not to get off topic, but it seems to be taking forever to port it to Linux. Geez.

M.

zmjjmz
September 29th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Chrome is licensed under the BSD license, so yes it's open source.
In addition, anyone can fork a GPLv3 version of it, making it even more OSS (in fact Debian might just do that when it comes out natively for Linux)

50words
September 29th, 2008, 05:08 AM
How is the GPL more open source than BSD? BSD has fewer licenses than the GPL. If anything, I would say BSD is more open.

cardinals_fan
September 29th, 2008, 05:10 AM
How is the GPL more open source than BSD? BSD has fewer licenses than the GPL. If anything, I would say BSD is more open.
+1

However, many FSF types (yes, that was a stereotyping generalization) feel that true freedom involves restricting future developers to open licensing.

MaxIBoy
September 29th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I would tend to agree with the FSF types, at least on that particular subject.

shuttleworthwannabe
September 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM
This is what I have read about them: Chrome is shipped with Google branding and chromium is the development version of chrome without the google branding- they are both open source that use the WebKit engine. If you want Chrome (properly called "Google Chrome Browser") head to Google; for chromium there are nightly builds available (do not have link right now). GCB gets updated using the chromium-based nightly.