PDA

View Full Version : Mouse free computing.

hessiess
September 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Recently I have been trying to find a way to totally remove the mouse as a nesseserry part of computer control, there are a number of reasons behind this.

Im dyslexic and carry a laptop prity much everywhere I go, primevally to help with writing. it runs a fairly minimal Arch install, and boots in around 30 seconds from cold, 10 from standby. however this is nullified if I have to waste time untangling a mouse, as the tuchpad is so twitchy its next to useless(not a driver isule, its the same in XP). the second issue is if I use a mouse for any length of time my wrist and fingers ache, which for some reason isn't a problem when using a keyboard.

one solution is using CLI applications as much as possible, this is fine, except some things just aren't passable in the CLI, for example open office(I need it for my collage coerce).

web browsing presents a significant problem, as it evolved around the GUI. in firefox(my preferd browser, due to some extensions) pages can be navigated by searching through links "'", but that only works with text, not images. in the case of image-links, you eather have to get as close as possible with "'" and "/", or use "F7" mode, then tab to the link. while this works it is highly inefficient. the other option, disabling images and using the text search is totally dependent on the existence of "alt" attributes on the images. if threes a missing attribute on a image link, the link may as well not exist. another problem is with the spell checker, for some reason the "open right mouse click menu keybord button" dousent work with the spell checker, it just opens the menu as if the cursor wasent over a spelling error.

the other problem, Open Office. while this can be used with keyboard short cuts, its not exactly intuitive, and was obviously designed to be mouse oriented. although thankfully the 'right click button' actualy works proppaly. Currently i just tent to wright out the text using Vim, and copy it into OO. fine, but still very slow, and dousent work for spreadsheets etc. a partial solution would be Vi emulation in OO, but I have been unable to find a plug-in to do this. I would expect there to be one, as there is a pligin for MS office offering Vi emulation. spreadsheets etc with just the keyboard is just plain annoying.

all suggestions welcome.

schauerlich
September 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
If you're looking for a better WM, I would suggest wmii. It's a good balance of powerful keyboard controls and ease of use.

hessiess
September 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM
If you're looking for a better WM, I would suggest wmii. It's a good balance of powerful keyboard controls and ease of use.
Im using Awesome, I have tryed wmii, but couldn't work out how to configure it.

init1
September 29th, 2008, 01:02 AM
From what I understand, this will make Firefox easier to operate without a mouse
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4891

hessiess
September 29th, 2008, 02:10 AM
thanks, verry usefal :)

brunovecchi
September 29th, 2008, 02:20 AM
From what I understand, this will make Firefox easier to operate without a mouse

+1
Vimperator is great, specially if you are already used to Vim's keybindings.

Dr Small
September 29th, 2008, 02:23 AM
the second issue is if I use a mouse for any length of time my wrist and fingers ache, which for some reason isn't a problem when using a keyboard.
My fingers are the same way.

web browsing presents a significant problem, as it evolved around the GUI. in firefox(my preferd browser, due to some extensions) pages can be navigated by searching through links "'", but that only works with text, not images. in the case of image-links, you eather have to get as close as possible with "'" and "/", or use "F7" mode, then tab to the link. while this works it is highly inefficient. the other option, disabling images and using the text search is totally dependent on the existence of "alt" attributes on the images. if threes a missing attribute on a image link, the link may as well not exist. another problem is with the spell checker, for some reason the "open right mouse click menu keybord button" dousent work with the spell checker, it just opens the menu as if the cursor wasent over a spelling error.

Look up Vimperator. I think you would love it. It uses Vim's keyboard commands, and makes web-browsing 10 times easier :)

niccholaspage
September 29th, 2008, 02:39 AM
It is a awesome addon. I just can't find a way to click into a text box like the post reply one.

hessiess
September 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
It is a awesome addon. I just can't find a way to click into a text box like the post reply one.

you can press the 'f' key, which puts a number over the HTML form that, when followed like a link, allows you to insert into the form.

My fingers are the same way.

would you have any idea why my and your fingers ache when using a mouse?

Look up Vimperator. I think you would love it. It uses Vim's keyboard commands, and makes web-browsing 10 times easier

Vimperator is just what I was looking for, sweet :)
except for some obscure reason the 'quick reply activate' links on this website vanish when I press 'f' and the simely links don't have numbers assigned to them.

next problem, OpenOffice.

brunovecchi
September 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
next problem, OpenOffice.

My suggestion would be to write all your text in a text editor (not a word proccessor) such as vim or emacs. They are designed to be used with the keyboard only. If you really need some formatting, then you can 1) paste it into OOffice and make some finishing touches, or better yet 2) learn LaTeX or Html and add the appropiate formatting tags right there with the text editor.

With option 2, you'll never need a mouse. It doesn't play well with collaborative projects though, since it's not a popular choice.

Stefanie
September 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Latex isn't very popular but it's extremely efficient. you can use vim, vim-latexsuite and the built-in spellchecker without needing to worry about the mouse ;-)

regomodo
September 29th, 2008, 05:48 PM
#

hessiess
October 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Is there any way to convert HTML into a doc or PDF?.
I am yet to find a way of accuratly printing HTML, short of tacking multiple screenshots and stiching them together.

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I am yet to find a way of accuratly printing HTML, short of tacking multiple screenshots and stiching them together.
http://linux.die.net/man/1/htmldoc

brunovecchi
October 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Alternatively, you can open your html file in OOffice or your web browser and save as pdf file or print to pdf, respectively.

hessiess
November 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Im now using LaTeX for typesetting all my documents, not only does it work perfectly without the mouse, The output looks much beatter aswell.

Alternatively, you can open your html file in OOffice or your web browser and save as pdf file or print to pdf, respectively.

This works with sumple documents, but with anything remotily complecated the output is always inconsistent from what is displayed in a web browser. Also, OO dosent seam to support CSS.

Anybody here know how to make firefoxes spell ckecker work porpaly with the ``open right click menu'' key?

chucky chuckaluck
November 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
another solution for web browsing could be elinks. (i've found it to be better than both lynx and links2 for dealing with sites like yahoo.) pressing "." will put a number in front of each link which you can simply select by typing that number and pressing "enter" twice. images are handled as links and can be opened with an external image viewer (i use feh). if you're using a laptop, using a text browser might save you a little battery power, as well.

hessiess
November 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
another solution for web browsing could be elinks. (i've found it to be better than both lynx and links2 for dealing with sites like yahoo.) pressing "." will put a number in front of each link which you can simply select by typing that number and pressing "enter" twice. images are handled as links and can be opened with an external image viewer (i use feh). if you're using a laptop, using a text browser might save you a little battery power, as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.