PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Ubuntu?

typon
September 28th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hi there,

I just installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Its great and im loving the shiny new desktop, the flashy effects, the lack of spyware, adware, viruses etc.
But i have a question: What can i do with Ubuntu that i couldnt do with Windows. Can anyone please suggests things that i can do/explore that are unique to Linux?

Anything from Games, to technical software, etc. I have a lot of time to kill and am willing to learn anything.

Much appreciated!

mkvnmtr
September 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Explore all the programs and packages that you can download. Anything that interests you download and see what it does. If you don't like or need it you can remove it as simply as you enstalled it.

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM
What do you want to do with it?

Leave it on for a month and notice that it doesn't get slow or need a restart.

Notice the stability.

You have one of the most reliable operating systems on the planet at your disposal.

Open Synaptic and cruise the software that is available to you.

mindoms
September 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
You could install liferea (a RSS/Feed reader) and look through the "Debain Package a Day" feed. they present some cool packages. (though only once a week)
reading through ubuntu how-to's can be pretty interesting. (for example on this portal) people got the nicest ideas. e.g. Yesterday i installed xwinwrap and have the live-stream from my webcam as desktop-wallpaper :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=883176

jemate18
September 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hi there,

I just installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Its great and im loving the shiny new desktop, the flashy effects, the lack of spyware, adware, viruses etc.
But i have a question: What can i do with Ubuntu that i couldnt do with Windows. Can anyone please suggests things that i can do/explore that are unique to Linux?

Anything from Games, to technical software, etc. I have a lot of time to kill and am willing to learn anything.

Much appreciated!
You can do it in Ubuntu but not in M$ Windows
1. You can have full control of the power of the BASH terminal or shell
2. You can install programs using command line via apt-get from different repositories.
3. You can customize Ubuntu the way you want it.. because it is open source (Requires the source code and GREAT technical knowledge)
4. You can copy Ubuntu and distribute it to others.
5. You can install Ubuntu on unlimited number of PC without having to worry about licenses.
6. Java development in Ubuntu is faster in Ubuntu than in Windows.
7. You can have COMPIZ (Cool Desktop Effects)... vista aero...ummm... nevermind...
8. And lots of lots of things........

blingo
September 29th, 2008, 01:05 AM
This system is awesome for development,
You can download source code of and compile large programs from scratch,
Like all kind of scientific programs...
or build your own..
The package manager helps to install libraries needed for development.

If you want to learn about computers, this is a good place,
the documentation is awesome,
(Unless you get into very minute details, any documentation of Linux will do)
and usually free.

Interesting to note, there are programs that are free on Linux, but not
on other system...