PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Vista as virtual machine from my original install disc

N00b-un-2
September 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I'm trying to install Vista from the discs that came with my laptop as a virtual machine in virtualbox. I just got rid of my dualboot and I don't want to go back. Is there any way to do this?

mikewhatever
September 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Why not try and find out. Is that a standard installation disk or an OEM recovery one?

N00b-un-2
September 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
it's an OEM recovery. I was wondering if there's a way I could create a usable disc from my OEM discs. because Vista is all there on the disc, you just have to figure out how to get around the irritating copyright stuff. The worst part about it is that it won't let me install it, and i'm trying to install it on the computer it came with! F***ing Micro$oft. I mean, I realize that from the software's standpoint, trying to install the oem disc as a virtual machine, even if it's on the same computer, the software is not going to "see" the same computer. Although it should, because what gives a computer it's identity for all intents and purposes is the information stored in the BIOS. Maybe VirtualBox has it's own BIOS emulation. It has virtual emulation for everything else... it wouldn't surprise me.
That's the thing I hate about Microsoft more than anything is the way try to micromanage every aspect of their software, right down to how you install it, and then they nickel and dime you by making you pay for software that you already own a licensed copy of. Had a similar problem installing XP on a computer after the power supply fried itself and took the mobo out with it. Bought a direct replacement mobo from the same manufacturer that made the computer, sold through their web site as a "direct replacement/upgrade" designed to address the the very same issue caused by faulty ATX power supplies. Tried to install XP, couldn't get it to install. Was told by tech support that I would have to flash my BIOS in order to install, and then flash back after install. Suffice it to say... I didn't end up running the same copy of XP that came with my computer. I may have gotten a copy for a very good price from someone who knew someone (who probably robbed someone...)

mikewhatever
September 29th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I have no idea how to turn an OEM Vista into a regular one, sorry.

Bare in mind that you can never own a licensed copy of any MS's software, because what you buy is the license to use the software. Not a lot of sane users can understand, let along read, their EULA, so people don't know.

In case of XP, I heard you must buy a new copy of Windows if the motherboard is changed, because MS thinks it's like changing the computer.

Mark Phelps
September 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The disks you were provided were created by the vendor to do one thing: return your machine to the state it was in when it was originally configured. It was THEIR choice, not Microsoft's, to provide you such a limited capability.

Before you start cursing me as an MS "fanboy", let me assure you that I'm not. I only use Vista at work because I have to; I used Ubuntu for all of my machines.

I'm disgusted that vendors can get away with NOT providing their customers with full-blown Vista OEM DVDs. Perhaps if they heard enough "I'm never buying a product from you again" kind of complaints from their customers, then they wouldn't be so eager to leave you, and others like you, in the position you're in today.

So, if you want to curse someone, at least have the decency to do it to the right company -- the vendor who sold you the machine!!

Mark Phelps
September 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM
As to changing the motherboard ...

If you're a "system builder", you can change out the motherboard, reinstall XP from the same original OEM disk, and when the activation fails ( as it will because it's already in use), you simply have to call MS support, provide them your OEM information, and they'll generate a new activation key for you for the new machine, and disable the old key.

If you're not a "system builder", then you have the difficulty of convincing MS support that they should issue you a new key. Not hard, but not guaranteed, either.

Which is why I now use Ubuntu on all my machines -- no activation issues!!