PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't start ubuntu after updating (x-server problem)

Katzwinkel
September 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hi, I installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn on my computer several years ago. All that time i didn't have an Internet connection, so i never updated my Ubuntu OS. after i got myself an internet connection i thought it was about time to download some oficial updates, and sure enough when i used the integrated "download package manager" (can't remember the real name of that thing just now)it listet a lot of "highly recommended security updates" from the official Ubuntu website.

So i let the programm install these updates, and now Ubunu won't start anymore!
All i get is a long error message saying that there is a problem with the x-server and that it failed to load he NVIDIA kernel module.
When i start Ubuntu in the recovery mode i have access to the command shell (but no graphical user interface) but i have no experience with that.

What happened? Can i still rescue my Ubuntu system (and my data) by repairing the x server somehow or do i have to reinstall Linux? Can this sort of thing happen every time i download "highly recommended updates"?