PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Install without CD-drive?

Melindrea
September 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Right.

For a few months, my boyfriend has had some problems with his CD-drive. XP won't recognize that he has one, in particular. He's decided he needs to reinstall, and since I've been talking myself sore with how nifty Ubuntu is, he's decided to follow my example. =)

So. It may still be possible that it will still boot from CD - there shouldn't be anything wrong with the CD-drive. If it can't, how does one go about installing Ubuntu without the live CD?

Any way to boot from an ISO-file, or from USB-memory, or anything like that?

Thank you,
Melindrea

oilchangeguy
September 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
in the search bar at the upper right of the page, type in your question. install without a cd drive. there are many threads on the subject. using the search bar first, helps stop the same question from being asked over, and over, and over and over.............

overdrank
September 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Right.

For a few months, my boyfriend has had some problems with his CD-drive. XP won't recognize that he has one, in particular. He's decided he needs to reinstall, and since I've been talking myself sore with how nifty Ubuntu is, he's decided to follow my example. =)

So. It may still be possible that it will still boot from CD - there shouldn't be anything wrong with the CD-drive. If it can't, how does one go about installing Ubuntu without the live CD?

Any way to boot from an ISO-file, or from USB-memory, or anything like that?

Thank you,
Melindrea

Hi and this link may help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installation%20without%20a%20CD

Melindrea
September 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
in the search bar at the upper right of the page, type in your question. install without a cd drive. there are many threads on the subject. using the search bar first, helps stop the same question from being asked over, and over, and over and over.............

I did a search for install without CD. I got 250 hits. The first page was completelly irrelevant to what I needed - it was about how to install with XP, copying updates to a second computer, can't boot, disk write error, compilation problems. On page 10 I found one relevant post.

@overdrank:
Very much thank you, I'll read through that link. =)