PDA

View Full Version : what is your opinion of gnome-do or ubiquity?

adamogardner
September 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I am just discovering them, and would like to know your experiences, and preferences. Thanks.

jimi_hendrix
September 28th, 2008, 08:50 PM
havnt used gnome-do but i love ubiquity

chris4585
September 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I don't like gnome-do and I dont exactly see what ubiquity and gnome-do have in common..

adamogardner
September 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I don't like gnome-do and I dont exactly see what ubiquity and gnome-do have in common..

well i think the difference is that ubiquity doesn't reach into your computer to view say, your pictures or whatever. It is purely internet, where gnome-do can do both.

there commonality is that they are both text input

chris4585
September 28th, 2008, 08:58 PM
well i think the difference is that ubiquity doesn't reach into your computer to view say, your pictures or whatever. It is purely internet, where gnome-do can do both.

there commonality is that they are both text input

I thought he was talking about ubiquity the installer for Ubuntu..

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubiquity

OutOfReach
September 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, isn't Ubiquity the Ubuntu installer?

zmjjmz
September 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Ubiquity is also an awesome FF plugin.
Anywars, I don't really use either, although supposedly they're totally fscking awesome.

cardinals_fan
September 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Ubiquity == Win
GNOME-Do == Fail

adamogardner
September 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I thought he was talking about ubiquity the installer for Ubuntu..

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubiquity

Are you talking to me? Is there a way to put this in ubiquity without having it downloaded by a third party?

CmdUtils.CreateCommand({
name: "comments",
author: {name: "Brian Kierstead", email: "briankierstead@gmail.com"},
description: "Reveal comments in the code.",
execute:function() {
doc = context.focusedWindow.document
if(!doc)
return;

ss = addStyleSheet(doc);
if(ss)
addStyles(ss);

bodyNodes = doc.body.childNodes;
for(var i=0; i < bodyNodes.length; i++){
if(bodyNodes[i].nodeType==8){
var div = context.focusedWindow.document.createElement( "div" );
div.innerHTML = '<a class="info" href="#" onclick="javascript:return false;">'
+ '<image src="http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/monobook/external.png" border="0" />'
+ '<span>' + bodyNodes[i].nodeValue + '</span></a>';
try{
bodyNodes[i].parentNode.removeChild(bodyNodes[i]);
bodyNodes[i].parentNode.insertBefore(div, bodyNodes[i]);
}
catch(err){
// this will break if node insertion is not allowed the parent
// but what to do?
}
}
}
}
});

function addStyleSheet(doc){

// add one if there are none
if(!doc.styleSheets[0]){
ss = doc.createElement("style");
ss.type="text/css";
ss.media="all";
doc.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(ss);
}
return doc.styleSheets[0];
}

function addStyles(ss)
{
// add the rules
ss.insertRule('a.info{'
+ 'position:relative;'
+ 'z-index:24;'
+ 'color:#000;'
+ 'font-weight: normal;}',0);
ss.insertRule('*+html a.info{'
+ 'padding-right: 3px;}', 0);
ss.insertRule('a.info:hover{z-index:25;}',0);
ss.insertRule('a.info span{display: none}',0);
ss.insertRule('a.info:hover span{'
+ 'display: block;'
+ 'font-size: 11px;'
+ 'position: absolute;'
+ 'font-weight: normal;'
+ 'top:2em;'
+ 'right:-1em;'
+ 'width: 23em;'
+ 'padding: 5px;'
+ 'max-width: 23em;'
+ 'word-wrap: break-word;'
+ 'border:1px solid #d5d7ca;'
+ 'background-color:#FCFCFA;'
+ 'color:#326175;'
+ 'text-align: left;'
+ 'z-index:25;'
+ 'white-space: pre-wrap;}', 0);
}

chris4585
September 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Are you talking to me?

Yes I was saying I thought you were talking about Ubiquity the install for Ubuntu, I have no idea about any other ubiquity..

speedwell68
September 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Personally I think GNOME DO is great, I love it, I never have to lift my hands from the keyboard.

gjoellee
September 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
it saved me from reeinstalling the whole OS once.

(Gnome Panles and other did not load and hotkeys didn't work, but Gnome Do was there so I cold open the terminal and start gnome-panels)

cookieofdoom
September 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I really like Gnome-Do, and I think Ubiquity (the Mozilla version) will be really useful. Hopefully there will be a way to integrate the two of them... having quicksilver type apps could get kinda confusing.

brunovecchi
September 29th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Gnome do has changed the way I use my computer, it's THAT awesome.

inigomontoya
September 29th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Gnome do has changed the way I use my computer, it's THAT awesome.

I feel the same. I hardly use the menus anymore.

Stefanie
September 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
i can't live without gnome-do :-) seriously, it's so cool. @cardinals & others: why don't you like it, and what do you use instead?

i use these plugins:

- gmail contacts. i set up gmail as my default e-mail client in ubuntu and this makes it even more useful
- apturl: install packages
- files and folders: indexes your folders so you can browse and open your files with gnome-do
- gnome session management: log out, shutdown, reboot etc
- gnome terminal
- google calculator
- locate to locate files
- search google, returns results to gnome-do

SupaSonic
September 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I didn't like gnome do. Maybe if I gave it more time it'd grow on me, but after using it for 5 minutes I removed it.

Canis familiaris
September 29th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ubiquity == Win
GNOME-Do == Fail

FAIL.
That is only your opinion. ;)

Seriously calling something FAIL just because it doesn't suit you is not a good idea. ;)

I use Opera. Should I call Ubiquity as FAIL? No I shouldn't.

adamogardner
September 29th, 2008, 11:48 PM
FAIL.
That is only your opinion. ;)

Seriously calling something FAIL just because it doesn't suit you is not a good idea. ;)

I use Opera. Should I call Ubiquity as FAIL? No I shouldn't.

I don't believe he was claiming to be stating a fact, when you made your first point. I asked for opinions and thats what everyone (not just he) is offering.
Then you followed up with an illogical supporting statement about his choice of word. 'Fail' is a bit harsh but perhaps that is his opinion of it, and I value it.
And frankly, You shouldn't mark Ubiquity as fail because you haven't the experience to formulate a substantial opinion of it since, as you claim, you use opera. I don't see the relevancy from one line to the next.
I presume that you use gnome-do?

Canis familiaris
September 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I don't believe he was claiming to be stating a fact, when you made your first point. I asked for opinions and thats what everyone (not just he) is offering.
Then you followed up with an illogical supporting statement about his choice of word. 'Fail' is a bit harsh but perhaps that is his opinion of it, and I value it.
And frankly, You shouldn't mark Ubiquity as fail because you haven't the experience to formulate a substantial opinion of it since, as you claim, you use opera. I don't see the relevancy from one line to the next.
I presume that you use gnome-do?

*sigh*
I dont know whether my statement was illogical or amounted to trolling. If it came that way I apologise, since I had no intention.But I think you misunderstood what I meant to say.
I only wanted to say calling something as "FAIL" without facts or figures and only as an expression of personal opinion is not nice.
Then in a sarcastic way I said whether should I call Ubiquity as FAIL when I don't even use it. I did not express any opinion about Ubiquity there.
In case you show an opinion, negative ones in particular - You should back it up rather than making a silly vague statement.

Anyway, Yes I use GnomeDo, and I find wonderful to be able to launch programs and do so many other things without using the mouse.

nothingspecial
September 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Gnome-do is awesome. It even has a plugin for squeezecenter (wireless streaming software). I sit at my pc at one end of the room, type the first few letters of a song (or artist,album,etc), hit enter and it`s playing on my music system on the other side of the room. Soo much better than crappy pc speakers.
How cool is that?

adamogardner
September 30th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Gnome-do is awesome. It even has a plugin for squeezecenter (wireless streaming software). I sit at my pc at one end of the room, type the first few letters of a song (or artist,album,etc), hit enter and it`s playing on my music system on the other side of the room. Soo much better than crappy pc speakers.
How cool is that?

thats way cool. You probably need some special kind of sound system? One that picks up wireless, what do you use? I guess I have pc speakers that plug in.

nothingspecial
September 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
thats way cool. You probably need some special kind of sound system? One that picks up wireless, what do you use? I guess I have pc speakers that plug in.

I have 3 squeezeboxes -

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

They run with this free open source software

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

I have one in the living room one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. You hook em up to your music systems and you can play all the music on your pc, listen to internet radio live365, Shoutcast etc. They have a lastfm plugin and a bbc iplayer plugin so you can listen to any bbc radio proramme from the last 7 days.
They can play stuff independantly or you can sync them so they all play the same thing. Music piping round your house (great for parties).
You do this with a remote control that works a bit like how phones do that predictive text thing. So click search, press grateful and up come the Dead. I remember your Jerry avatar.

They`re the best thing I`ve ever bought. Probably the finest invention since the wheel.

And no I don`t work for them I just love these things.