PDA

View Full Version : Best hangover cure?

ELD
September 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM
What do you all think is the best cure for a hangover?

SuperSonic4
September 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Blue Powerade. It has to be blue, no other flavour will do :p

https://calcatering.housing.berkeley.edu/calclub/gui/prod_photos/192.jpg

Also what the two posters below me have said apply more. Although Isotonic drinks (such as gatorade, lucozade and powerade) are meant to restore electrolyte balances which helps

kostkon
Lots of water...

aschwerin.moses
prevention is better than cure

BGrigg
September 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Not drinking to excess. The only one that really works. Believe me, I have tried them all.

ELD
September 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM

That would be great right now, pitty i'm way too slack to walk up to the shop! haha

billgoldberg
September 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM

I usually drink a bottle of coca cola light, ice cold.

I had one today and it seems to speed up the process.

I guess water should also work, coke just tastes better.

billgoldberg
September 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM
That would be great right now, pitty i'm way too slack to walk up to the shop! haha

Haha.

So I'm not the only one who is to beat up to even leave the house when having a hang over.

That's why I also buy soft drink when I buy my booze.

SuperSonic4
September 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Caffeine does help you just have to be careful since it's a diruetic and can make it worse if you don't have plenty of water

Hehe, I'm the same. Luckily I drink spirits so I just drink the excess mixers xD

ELD
September 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Haha.

So I'm not the only one who is to beat up to even leave the house when having a hang over.

That's why I also buy soft drink when I buy my booze.

Yeah i get my hangovers pretty bad, drinking for 4 hours in a pub and then wine + cider at mine with friend in the evning...eek.

I feel pretty fragile right now haha, i am tempted to order a pizza with some coke just so i dont have to move heh.

wolfen69
September 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM
drinking a big glass of water before bed will lessen the hangover in the morning.

smuki
September 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Most people I know will keep a cool bottle of water to grab once they wait up, sip it laying in bed, crash back out to sleep and eventually drink the entire thing. I'm not sure, I sleep through my hangovers.

Icehuck
September 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Wake up and start drinking again. It works wonders and if it doesn't you're doing it wrong.

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Eat something before you start drinking.

Drink a quart of water after dinner before you start drinking.

Drink a glass or two of water before you go to bed after a night of drinking.

If you plan ahead you are less likely to get hang over symptoms the next morning.

mrdosa
September 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Make your own cup of freshly squeezed lime water, with no other tasting agent in it!

mrdosa
September 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Wake up and start drinking again. It works wonders and if it doesn't you're doing it wrong.

LOL LOL!!!:D
It works!

Dylanby
September 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Eat something before you start drinking.

Drink a quart of water after dinner before you start drinking.

Drink a glass or two of water before you go to bed after a night of drinking.

If you plan ahead you are less likely to get hang over symptoms the next morning.

Agreed. "Doping" up on vitamin C in the days before the drinking occurs will help the liver purge alcohol faster.

Also excess water while hung over can induce vomiting. Which will make one feel better after, but not during, obviously.

If you can stand it, exercise causing heavy perspiration can also help purge alcohol from the body.

RiceMonster
September 28th, 2008, 08:18 PM
drinking a big glass of water before bed will lessen the hangover in the morning.

Or just get rid of it, as it does for me. I haven't had a hangover in ages because I always drink water before I go to sleep when I've been drinking.

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
water does it for me!

nothingspecial
September 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Correct. Beer is the answer. It has always been and will always be so. If you feel like s**te in the morning, go to the pub - problem solved.

tangibleorange
September 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Irn-Bru! without a doubt.

JetskiDude911
September 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
This is what I do...

1. Try not to drink too much. This never seems to actually work...so I got to number 2...

2. Try to drink water between each drink. Now, this only works to a certain point. Eventually you'll be too drunk to remember to drink the water. When this happens, go to step 3....

3. Stay up all night and try to sit out the drunkeness. If you're too drunk though this won't help.

markp1989
September 28th, 2008, 08:45 PM
how about just not goin 2 sleep till you have sobered up, normally works for me, nt had hang over in about 4 years

DrMega
September 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
The best hangover cure is to follow this procedure:

1. Have a glass of water just before you leave the pub.
2. Have a pint of water just before you go to bed, and take another glass of water with you to sip through night when you wake up parched but can't be bothered to move.

Those two steps help ward of dehydration which is the biggest part of a hangover.

3. In the morning, get up and have a greasy breakfast made up of as many as possible of the following: bacon, fried eggs, sausages, fried mushrooms, beans. Wash it down with a mug of sweet tea.
4. Go back to bed (taking another glass of water), and sleep for a max of one hour extra while your body is breaking down the breakfast.
5. Get up, cold shower, get dressed, get out in the fresh air.

Job done.

xpod
September 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Irn-Bru! without a doubt

Barr`s Irn-Bru of course:D
I actually preferred the Hair o the Dog when i did drink though.

torry_loon
September 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Not drinking with an empty stomach and of course Irn Bru.

lisati
September 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Lots of water...

+1: Sometimes augmented by something sugary. And there's always the option of not allowing yourself to have a hangover in the first place?

pp.
September 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
there's always the option of not allowing yourself to have a hangover in the first place?

Perfect advice arriving a bit late by several hours, given the topic's title?

crimesaucer
September 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
A Huge breakfast:

2 fried eggs over easy, served on top of hashbrown potatoes w/onions and melted cheese, maybe a side order of bacon/sausage... also something sweet like a couple of pancakes, a few pieces of French-toast, or a Belgium waffle.

Lots of coffee, water, and fresh squeezed orange juice.

I also like something like a chai-latte.

chucky chuckaluck
September 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
prevention is better than cure

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj301/Lacy286/church_lady.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFsntPUhdeQlQlklQAty5HlDnjrEA

Not drinking to excess. The only one that really works. Believe me, I have tried them all.

quitter!

it's the same answer for how to avoid being sore after exercise: you have to do it often enough. even then, the best thing to do, if you know you're going to struggle in the morning, is to force yourself to puke and then take some vitamin B1. also, psychologically, brushing your teeth makes a big difference. if you wake up with a hangover, have a bloody mary. if none of that works, it's only one day.

solitaire
September 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
My Routine:

2 Large glasses of water + 2 asprin before going to bed..

In the morning:
2 more asprin.
Large cup of coffee (it IS a diuretic but you'll only loose 1/2 cup of fluids for every cup of coffee, but the caffeine + sugar + milk helps more) :D
Fry-up (bacon + sausage + Fried potato scones) and a bottle of ice cold Irn-Bru (has to be glass bottle!!)
Then drink milk or water if still feeling queezy....

Works for me :D

uberdonkey5
September 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM
My Routine:

2 Large glasses of water + 2 asprin before going to bed..

In the morning:
2 more asprin.
Large cup of coffee (it IS a diuretic but you'll only loose 1/2 cup of fluids for every cup of coffee, but the caffeine + sugar + milk helps more) :D
Fry-up (bacon + sausage + Fried potato scones) and a bottle of ice cold Irn-Bru (has to be glass bottle!!)
Then drink milk or water if still feeling queezy....

Works for me :D

yeh, I go for this. Hangovers are largely caused by dehydration, and apparently as we get older our water regulation is not as good (thus we get worse hangovers). Firstly, hangovers are your bodies way of telling you not to drink so much (after living in N.Ireland and seeing lots of people with clinical alcohol problems it made me realise that alcohol is as bad or worse than using non-legal drugs.. it can ruin your life if not taken in moderation).

I try to FORCE lots of water. At least two pints, before going to bed. In the morning I have a large fried breakfast. (I don't like taking aspirin or other drugs because over time it damages your liver). I used to go for a run as well (get the alcohol and methyl alcohol (which is also implicated in hangovers) out of my system) however it can be very painful with a big hangover.

toupeiro
September 29th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Just know your limits. Hangovers are understandable the first couple of times, but if you haven't figured it out by then, then you either a) might be an unrealized alcoholic, or b) you just like that kind of attention, either in the moment or after it.

paul101
September 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
the best way, is not to get Langered ;)

ELD
September 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Well my hangover is gone now, only took a day haha i am not going to drink for a little while, think i have a small problem with it heh

John164918a
September 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well my hangover is gone now, only took a day haha i am not going to drink for a little while, think i have a small problem with it heh

You say that......

swisscow
September 29th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Either jump in the sea (UK - cold) or walk up a mountain. Both hurt like hell but hangover is gone when you get to the top / get out

Danoz
September 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
The best hangover cure is to follow this procedure:

1. Have a glass of water just before you leave the pub.
2. Have a pint of water just before you go to bed, and take another glass of water with you to sip through night when you wake up parched but can't be bothered to move.

Those two steps help ward of dehydration which is the biggest part of a hangover.

3. In the morning, get up and have a greasy breakfast made up of as many as possible of the following: bacon, fried eggs, sausages, fried mushrooms, beans. Wash it down with a mug of sweet tea.
4. Go back to bed (taking another glass of water), and sleep for a max of one hour extra while your body is breaking down the breakfast.
5. Get up, cold shower, get dressed, get out in the fresh air.

Job done.

This is most certainly the best advice given here, though I would also suggest you throw two aspirin and a multivitamin into the mix-- and the a midday run/workout session. Sweating it out helps.

Drinking to relieve a hangover is enough to ride it out, but your day is gone. If you actually have stuff to do, follow the advice above and pound a few pints of water before you fall asleep the night before.

Why do I still have 0 posts? And I missing something? ;)

SuperSonic4
September 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Community Cafe posts don't count toward post count

Calmatory
September 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
#1:
Don't get yourself into a situation where you have to sleep while drunk. Going to sleep during decreasing drunkenness will cause hangover.

#2:
Get a lot of water. Drink water during drinking alcohol, drink water before going to sleep, drink water when you wake up during the night(get a glass[or two] of water next to your bed) and drink water in the morning.

#3: If both of the above fail, then you shall endure the hangover. May that be a lesson for your oversight with alcohol. Hopefully this one will teach you. It taught me, big time. :|

Happy drinking. ;)

boobuntu
September 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Honestly, the best cure for a hangover is to avoid a hangover :)

I can't stand them, so what I'll do after a night of heavy drinking is too stay awake for as long as I can and drink water. Do not go to bed while the room is still spinning! :P

markp1989
September 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Honestly, the best cure for a hangover is to avoid a hangover :)

I can't stand them, so what I'll do after a night of heavy drinking is too stay awake for as long as I can and drink water. Do not go to bed while the room is still spinning! :P

thats what i do, just stay up for as long as you can , then yuo normaly feel ok in the morning .. works for me , not had hang over in about 4 years

tribaal
September 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
1. Lots of water both before and after sleeping (I try to force myself to drink as much water as my stomach can stand before going to bed).
2. Aspirin (I use "Alka-Seltzer", but I guess any brand will do), one before sleep, and one after.
3. Lots of vitamins in the morning, probably before sleeping too if you can manage. I have effervescent Vitamins and fresh fruits (eventually, fruit juices).

As someone said before, try to know your limits to avoid getting there in the first place :)

- Trib'

solitaire
September 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Another good tip is to have at least one non-alcoholic drink for every 3 alcoholic drinks you have while out.

NJC
September 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
how about just not goin 2 sleep till you have sobered up, normally works for me, nt had hang over in about 4 years
I'm not drinking the voluminous amounts of past, but I do this now and it seems to help. Maybe sleep is less disturbed without Ethyl's effect.

regomodo
September 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
#

ELD
September 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Well i think i will try to force myself to drink a truck load of water and stay up for a while, easier said than done when you are off your face though.

renzokuken
September 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
watercress, fresh and raw, no jokes - works everytime.

failing that a huge greasy fry-up: bacon, sausages, beans, mushrooms, eggs, hash browns and tomato.....mmmmmm

zxscooby
September 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hair of the dog.
Drink more beer , or just make sure you are drunk enough when
you go to bed to sleep through the hangover.

ELD
September 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hair of the dog.
Drink more beer , or just make sure you are drunk enough when
you go to bed to sleep through the hangover.

Thats a problem for me though, if i drink, i tend to wake up reaaaal early because of the hangover haha, guess for me its a no-win situation :P

Maupertus
September 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM
If I know it's going to be a long night of party-ing and drinking, I'll take a large empty Coke bottle, boil some water take 10 cubes of sugar and mix it in the bottle.

When I get back home in the morning, I'll drink the whole bottle, thereby getting enough water and energy for my bottle to break down the alcohol.

Next morning, good old English breakfast and loads of Coffee.

But it has been a long time since my last binge and I like it that way. :D

ELD
September 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hah yeah i don't plan on getting utterly wasted anymore, i woke up this morning without a hangover and i feel sooo much better (i usually go out monday nights).

kaspar_silas
September 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM
As a TV advert would say.

Don't mess about with soft drinks. Do it the Pro way with oral rehydrating salts sachets. Most pharmacies sell them.

Ask any drinking chemist and you will see this is the way to go.

http://www.escape-co.com/images/oralrehyd2.JPG

ELD
September 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Wow never heard of that, will have to check them out sometime, that could really, really help!

ukripper
September 30th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Herbalife's Herbal Beverage Green Tea Boost is the best for me!

JeffoOfMetal
September 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Boozer - http://taurinerules.blogspot.com/2008/05/boozer-hangover-remedy-review.html

Circus-Killer
September 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM
don't stop drinking

ryedunn
September 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Laugh if you want to but this is 100% true. The first beer is very difficult to drink but you will be amazed!

Mr.Auer
September 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Fresh fruit juice,
and lots of good pot.
If no juice available, no.2 will do :D

Dragonbite
September 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM
More beer.. .because if you are drunk then you aren't hungover!

:D

Sidewinder1
September 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM
O2

pp.
September 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
O2

Ozone? Explain, please.

Dragonbite
September 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have to laugh when I remember working at the college cafeteria Sat & Sun morning and seeing people lining their trays up with water, juice, soda, anything liquid and shuffling like the living dead to a table.

semitone36
September 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Ozone? Explain, please.

Are you kidding? O2 is Oxygen. O3 is Ozone.
The best cure for a hangover is to drink 1 quart of water before bed. (exactly 1 quart). Youll definately have to pee at some point during the night but I promise you, no hangover.

ukripper
October 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM

Nice one:D

pp.
October 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM
The best cure for a hangover is to drink 1 quart of water before bed. (exactly 1 quart). Youll definately have to pee at some point during the night but I promise you, no hangover.

Of course. How is O2 a hangover cure, then? Your recipe does not mention any O2.

vantsochev
October 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Get drunk again :D

kittywittys
October 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM

Also what the two posters below me have said apply more. Although Isotonic drinks (such as gatorade, lucozade and powerade) are meant to restore electrolyte balances which helps

I agree...it makes you feel less dehydrated. But you also want to make sure that you are not throwing up or it wont do any good. The last hangover i had was nasty.....i couldn't keep any food or drinks down....i threw up everything. Gatorade was the only thing that helped me.

dioltas
October 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM
Get drunk again :D

Definitely the best cure! Well, just one or two more of whatever you were drinking the night before. It kinda weens you off it, definitely makes you feel a lot better.

Going to a steam room / sauna for a while is probably the best thing that doesn't involve more drink! Really sorts ya out. Sweats it out of you.

Other than that, as has been mentioned already, loads of water, a cup of coffee, some vitamins, going for a sleep or a walk. Sex is good too ;)

bobbocanfly
October 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Irn Bru, if you can get it where you live, getting it outside of Scotland (even in London) is pretty difficult. It also makes a good mixer for the night before (White Rum and Irn Bru is lovely!).

compiledkernel
October 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Though Im pretty sure its been said here, and I just havent found it yet.

The hair of the dog that bit you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_of_the_dog)

bomanizer
October 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM
- Salty snacks, like Pringels. Optionally, a good breakfast.. if you can keep it in :D
- Orange juice
- Sleep
- Aspirin

ukripper
October 2nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
Irn Bru, if you can get it where you live, getting it outside of Scotland (even in London) is pretty difficult. It also makes a good mixer for the night before (White Rum and Irn Bru is lovely!).

We do get IRN BRU here in london pretty easily, but ain't my favourite drink. Taste like prescribed medication syrup.

JDorfler
October 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Drink a quart of water right before you go to bed. Hangovers are caused by dehydration from the booze.

ELD
October 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
We do get IRN BRU here in london pretty easily, but ain't my favourite drink. Taste like prescribed medication syrup.

Tastes like bubblegum in liquid form to me, not my favourite either.

Dr. Pepper all the way!

tangibleorange
October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Tastes like bubblegum in liquid form to me, not my favourite either.

Dr. Pepper all the way!

how can you not like IRN-BRU? it's god! i think you have to grow up with it to like it though...

ELD
October 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
how can you not like IRN-BRU? it's god! i think you have to grow up with it to like it though...

As i said it's not my fav, didn't say i didn;t like it :), just dr peps is my favourite of all time :D

Dale61
October 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
don't stop drinking

:D Best advice so far!

If you stay smashed, you'll never get a hangover.

th3james
October 3rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'd have to plus one for drinking lots of water immediately before sleep, i always used to do this when i started drinking heavily, and just assumed i never got hangovers....

Then one night i couldn't be bothered to drink water before going to bed... ouch

also, have a glass near the bed to top up when u wake

Dixon Bainbridge
October 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
The only cure that has ever worked for me, is this:

Drink 1 litre of fresh orange juice (force as much down as possible) and then go for a 3 mile run. And I don't mean jog, I mean run.

For the first two miles you will feel like complete death and will probably throw up along the way (orange juice tastes exactly the same going down as up), but carry on. When you get back to your house drink lots of water and hey presto! you will notice that you no longer have a hangover.

Works every single time for me.

Kuroyume
October 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
water and plenty of fruit / fruit juice works great for me. i've also hear people saying multivitamin pills work nicely too... but ht emost important thing is water.

ZarathustraDK
October 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Anything containing salts will do. What happens when consuming alcohol is that it upsets the homeostasis of the body, forcing liquids (and salts) out of the body. Everytime you take a **** while drunk (which is a lot if you keep count) your body looses salts = you loose the ability to keep water inside due to salts osmotic properties.

That's why the best bet is some kind of isotonic drink like gatorade et al, or soda for that matter. Salty food like chips will also do. Drinking buckets of water may make you feel better short-term, but it'll just make you get up in the night to take another ****. Of course you can just keep on drinking water, but in the end you'll have to replenish the salt you've lost.

masterwillems
October 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
a nice ham and cheese tosti! the vets and salts will make you feel better in no time!

dldev
November 8th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Basically you are dehydrated and have lost potassium. The cure is to replenish yourself with both.

Water + Bananas

Used to work for me in the past, I don't drink now.