PDA

View Full Version : About instant messengers

Phreaker
September 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I have a question to the whole Ubuntu community,.Why people use different im types?I can't really convince my aunt to use anything else than skype, and some of my friends have only a msn/live account.I personally would prefer jabber, but nobody uses it, so it is useless to have a jabber account.
So yeah, I have three different clients and I am sick of it.What steps can be done to unify instant messaging?

4th guy
September 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM
You use Pidgin or Kopete :)

doorknob60
September 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, Kopete FTW. And a few of my friends use Jabber too (for comparison, only two use Yahoo), so it's not useless to have a Jabber acount, especially since GMail's the best E-mail so if you have Gmail then you have Jabber :)

howefield
September 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I'll give a vote for pidgin, great IM for most protocols.

Although it depends on what you want, I don't think any of the unified IMs offer quite the same functionality of each seperate messenger program. But pidgin comes close enough for my needs.

Phreaker
September 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM
It's not about the clients I am worried about, it's the principle that every user is attached to it's own im type and won't change.I want an utopian world ,where there is only one im.

howefield
September 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Utopian for me means choice, your choice.... no one elses.

:guitar:

banjobacon
September 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Utopian for me means choice, your choice.... no one elses.

Jabber gives you choice, as people don't have to be on the same Jabber network to communicate with each other.

SuperSonic4
September 28th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Virtually Everyone in the UK uses MSN messenger so I only need an msn client. I find KMess to be superior to Kopete.

Phreaker
September 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Where I live most older people use ICQ and the teenagers all have skype.
And since I talk to people from the UK/USA I need msn,too
Pretty bad situation

Vince4Amy
September 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'm using aMSN because a lot of people I know use it. Also aMSN is the most feature rich Linux clone of the official product IMO.

billgoldberg
September 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Everyone I know uses "msn", so I only need "emesene".

The one thing I dislike about that is that sending files is uber slow, I don't know why and don't feel like googling for it (hangover).

RiceMonster
September 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I use Emesene for MSN most of the time, because all my friends use MSN, but I know a few people who use AIM. When/if I want to talk to them, I fire Pidgin and use AIM and MSN through pidgin.

Just use Kopete or Pidgin. They were made to address this issue.

smartboyathome
September 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I like Jabber because you can use MSN from within it, depending on which server you are a part of and which client you use. Though pidgin is good too for when I want client-side support for multiple protocols. :)

steeleyuk
September 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Everyone I know uses "msn", so I only need "emesene".

The one thing I dislike about that is that sending files is uber slow, I don't know why and don't feel like googling for it (hangover).

Its because apps like Pidgin send through the MSN servers rather than direct (like the official client does) AFAIK.

Martje_001
September 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Mine just freezes with files >1 MB :/
Oh well..

quinnten83
September 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hey this sounds familiar, kinda like ODF vs. OOXML..
Look how well that one turned out.
There isn't a unified standard because Money is involved. If corporations had had idea that the internet would have been so big, they would've splintered it up in proprietary pieces as well.

Phreaker
September 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
So the capitalists are the one to blame (again!)

ww711
September 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Virtually Everyone in the UK uses MSN messenger so I only need an msn client.

I agree. In the UK, MSN does seem pretty popular, alongside Yahoo and Skype. Maybe it stems from the webmail days of hotmail & rocketmail, natural progression to extend the webmail into IM.

ICQ was popular when it initally started....still is?!?!

AndyCooll
September 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Virtually Everyone in the UK uses MSN messenger ...
That's a load of rubbish. While I agree MSN Messenger might be the most prolific IM client, a large number of UK users also use other IM clients. My friends for instance use a variety, I have some who use Yahoo! Messenger and Jabber too.

:cool:

master5o1
September 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Ok, so convince them to use something like OpenWengo or Ekiga for the sake of SIP based VoIP (I wonder if its called VVoIP for Voice+Video over IP).

I have found that WengoPhone will handle MSN/XMPP[Gtalk]/AIM?/YIM? also.

Pidgin is still my favourite for the "normal" IM protocols.

Skorzen
September 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM
If there was only IM protocol, then would be a lack of freedom.
You have the right to choose the best protocol, fitting your needs.

I also use jabber, but once no one uses it, it makes jabber some kind of useless.
People (at least, in my country) love Microsoft related products/services, so it's hard to tell someone to make the change from MSN to Jabber, as it's from Windows to GNU/Linux.

Maybe someday... But I don't actually care.