PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Heron changed order of drives in "Places" randomly

trulycool
September 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I've been loving Ubuntu for near two years now, in large part because it just does what it's supposed to, and when it doesn't, googling for "ubuntu [problem keywords]" almost always turns up a solution.

After being stuck on 6.1 for a while without the ability to update or upgrade anything, I finally bit the bullet, and ended up spending most of the day slowly but surely upgrading thru all the interim releases to get to 8.04. I know, I know, should have done a clean install...but hadn't put /home on a separate partition, new hard drive hadn't arrived yet...and hoped against hope that much of my setup would be preserved.

Almost everything turned out perfect, and some longstanding issues were fixed...but one relatively minor weirdness cropped up, and despite hours of googling and attempts at repair, I can make no progress.

I have 3 nfts drives and one vfat, with volume labels like "DSK1_VOL1" thru "DSK4_VOL3" and so on. They are named in the order they are plugged into the IDE controller (except disk 4 is in the SATA).

They show up in regular alpha-numeric order in Nautilus, but on the "Places" menu, ever since getting Hardy Heron installed, they show up in the random seeming order from top to bottom: DSK4_VOL3, DSK2_VOL1, DSK1_VOL1, and DSK3_VOL1, and I can't for the life of me find a way to sort them out. They are listed by uuid and in proper order in fstab. These disks date back to Win2K days so I am very rooted in which disk is which, and after running 6.1 for over 1.5 years with them showing up properly in order in "Places", I am finding it dangerously confusing to have this random order.

Is there anything I can do short of a clean install that will set these back to a logical alpha-numeric sort order on the Places menu?

Thanks much to anyone taking the time to respond...

Morgan Leininger

PS Completely off topic, possibly self-promoting, but in the spirit of sharing, if anyone is interested in original indie retro jazz pop, you can stream and download my just released debut CD at http://trulycool.com/morgan...