PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Hardy buggered

redbook4574
September 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hi all,

I need help - my hardy would not update due to broken packages - so I decided to use the repair broken option - This for some reason has partially removed my kernel.

My question is this I can boot to a text logon - how do I copy items from my desktop (ie about 5 folders) to an external drive ???

sir_cheats_a_lot
September 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM
well. are you you dual booting windows and linux or did you rid yourself of windows entirely?
if you are dual booting then go here:
http://www.fs-driver.org/
and download and install that and it'll give you access to your linux partition from windows and you can just copy over your files to the windows side or to the external drive that way.

if you wiped the whole drive, then you might be able to mount your linux install from a livecd session and just move the files to the external drive that way too.

i just use these methods because it's usually simpler and less frustrating; not to mention i can never remember the bash command for it, lol

redbook4574
September 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't use windows at all. However I have managed to recover my data by building a new drive and then mounting the original as a secondary.