PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows stuck at top of screen

outofnapkins
September 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM
somehow I've caused all of my programs to open in windows that are stuck at the top of the screen. I can't move them or resize them. I am running hardy heron gnome ubuntu and have installed compiz fusion and the emerald theme manager. I have spent four or five hours in frustration trying to find a checkbox in a menu somewhere that turns this option off. Maybe it's my imagination but I swear I saw it once when I first installed ubuntu.

p_quarles
September 28th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Well, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, and a screenshot might help clarify.

But, there's something that might help: alt + right mouse button allows you to resize a window without using a handle. alt + left mouse button allows you to move it without using the handle.

Tristesobre
September 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hi,

Maybe your windows are stuck to the top because you activated Compiz, but you disabled the "place windows" plugin in the Compiz settings.

My two cents.

Kevbert
September 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM
It may be worth turning off Snapping Windows under Windows management in Compiz.

outofnapkins
September 28th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I turned on place windows and that helped, I still can't move them around on the screen but at least they're not stuck at the top anymore. I also checked the snapping windows feature but it was already turned off. Now I just need to figure out how to make those darn windows movable.

Thanks for your help.

outofnapkins
September 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I tried the alt rightclick method and nothing happened :(

Then I opened the avant window navigator and loaded the compiz icon into a panel at the bottom of the screen. I clicked on the icon and selected (right clicked) the settings manager at the top of the list and magically - everything works now. Man am I happy. If anyone has an idea of what happened I'd sure love to know what the problem might have been.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

uaPtah
May 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Recently updated to 11.04 version, have played a bit with Compiz and I've got same issue.

My solution was to go to Compiz Config Settings Manager, then preferences and, click on "reset to defaults" button.

In my case it seems that enabling Desktop Cube causing this issue. So, I decided to go with Desktop Wall at least to next Ubuntu release. Hopefully this glitch will be fixed by than.

onionz
September 7th, 2011, 01:58 AM
This is pretty silly, but I fixed it by going to the Compiz Settings Manager and selecting Resize Window and Move Window under Window Management. They were disabled by default once I installed Compiz.

raiserramon
January 17th, 2013, 10:10 PM
What happened to me was that the window decorations disappeared. Once I enabled window decoration under the effects tab, everything worked again. Before that, every Firefox window would open at the top of the screen.