PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] simple problem... how do u get themes to install?

nuroxs
September 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Every guide I've seen says to simply download a file from gnome look and drag / drop it into appearances in the themes section and viola! it works..

but when I try that it says THEME NAME does not appear to be a valid theme.

and it says that for the 7 different ones i've downloaded...

what do i do to get those themes working?

rudihawk
September 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM
If that is the case then you should probably just open the file and take a peak.

Often there is another .tar.gz inside the orginal which contains the theme you are looking to install.

Extract this compressed file(the one you just found) to a convienent place, and then drag and drop into the appearance dialog...

Sometimes the contents may contain a .emerald file, in which case you may need to install the emerald-theme-manager.

Hope this helps.

nuroxs
September 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
nope that didnt work

i am dragging and dropping the tar.gz files

im understand what u were thinking was the problem but its not... it just doesnt accept the files for somer reason

OutOfReach
September 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Can you tell us which theme you are trying to install? That would help us solve your problem.

mike1234
September 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
nope that didnt work

i am dragging and dropping the tar.gz files

im understand what u were thinking was the problem but its not... it just doesnt accept the files for somer reason

Are these Metacity or Emerald themes? If you can post a link. Is it one of those themes that include icons, splashscreens, etc? If it is you can't just drag and drop them.

M.

nuroxs
September 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
i downloaded a theme like this one

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Sleek+Dragon?content=25716

and then i just drag the tar.gz file into appearances and it doesnt work. I also tried to manually install it and the same problem happens. It just says "SleekDragon" does not appear to be a valid theme.

and thats not the only one I've tried to use. I've tried several other themes and they all have the same problem.

OutOfReach
September 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Ok, it appears as if that is a GDM theme. Installing a GDM theme is a little different than installing a normal theme. BTW GDM is the login screen.

To install GDM themes, goto System>Administration>Login Window, enter your password and goto the 'Local' tab. Now, just drag and drop the theme there and Select it and you should be OK. Just log out to see the new login screen theme.

mike1234
September 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM
i downloaded a theme like this one

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Sleek+Dragon?content=25716

and then i just drag the tar.gz file into appearances and it doesnt work. I also tried to manually install it and the same problem happens. It just says "SleekDragon" does not appear to be a valid theme. and thats not the only one I've tried to use. I've tried several other themes and they all have the same problem.

OK. Like outofreach said it is a gdm splash screen. Entirely different from metacity or emerald. I know it is confusing at times the way the word "theme" is used.

M.