PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating a Windows Boot Disk with a Linux Machine

sendaletterbomb
September 28th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I need to create a Windows boot disk for a PC that is currently melting down. I found the .exe I need, but the only computer that I have with a floppy disk drive is my Ubuntu Hardy machine. Can I create a Windows boot disk using this machine?

howefield
September 28th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Hardy won't know how to handle the .exe, you'll likely need Wine installed to make your floppy.

sendaletterbomb
September 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I don't need to execute the file on Ubuntu, just make the floppy. On Windows, when formatting a disk, there is an option labeled "Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk." Is this possible to do with Hardy?

howefield
September 28th, 2008, 03:37 AM
sorry, I assumed that your exe file was a self extracting file which formats and writes the windows startup disk.

Go to Places, then Computer. You will see the floppy drive, right click on it and choose Format. Don't know if it includes startup functions or options, but one way to find out ;)

(I don't have a floppy drive on this machine or I'd try it)

lykwydchykyn
September 28th, 2008, 04:58 AM
To create a bootable DOS disk, you'll probably need to acquire a disk image of DOS and use dd to put it on a floppy. I don't know if for your application FreeDOS would work, but you can get a boot disk image based on FreeDOS here:
http://www.finnix.org/Balder
Download that file, and make a disk with it using this command:
dd if=Balder10.img of=/dev/fd0