PDA

View Full Version : [other] A New Enviroment

jimi_hendrix
September 28th, 2008, 02:38 AM
always looking for something new/different, i want to try out a new enviroment like enlightenment or blackbox/fluxbox...is there an easy way to install these or remove them i if dont like them? also are there any negative effects of having two Enviroments on your computer because i would like to keep my gnome setup as well

please move this thread if i posted it in the wrong place :)

thank you

ad_267
September 28th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I've recently tried out Openbox and really liked it. There's a good guide here: http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

I had problems with pypanel flickering and trayer and stalonetray both only staying on one desktop so I'm back to gnome for now.

It won't mess with your gnome install at all. I've heard that installing KDE can be annoying because the gnome and KDE apps both get added to the gnome menu. You can install and uninstall easily from the package manager.

Pogeymanz
September 28th, 2008, 02:48 AM
You wont have any problems with your gnome setup.

I say just jump in and install fluxbox from synaptic. Logout and under Session choose "fluxbox-session"

lykwydchykyn
September 28th, 2008, 05:20 AM
As others have said you shouldn't have conflicts, as long as you don't install another version of GNOME. I had problems with KDE and XFCE coexisting for a while until I removed the GTK-QT integration package from KDE. Don't know what that would do to GNOME.

If you need suggestions on what to try, check out this site:

http://xwinman.org/

I'd say about 2/3 of the DE/WMs listed on that site are in the repositories. And I've tried a number of them.

jimi_hendrix
September 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
thanks all...while were on the subject does anyone have an opinion on enlightenment or any of the boxes?

urukrama
September 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
thanks all...while were on the subject does anyone have an opinion on enlightenment or any of the boxes?

I'm not very fond of enlightenment, partly because I don't like its aesthetics and partly because it never worked very well on this (old) computer.

Of the *boxes, Openbox is the most polished window manager, in my opinion. Fluxbox is popular as well (though Openbox seems a lot more popular these days), but I could never get used to some of its odd quircks (window cycling, for example). Blackbox is no longer developed. Pekwm is another window manager with a similar style; it has all the good things of Fluxbox, and some of the good things from Openbox, with a few of its own downsides as well.

You can install all of them, and try them out in different sessions. Stick with the one you like best.

jimi_hendrix
September 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM
ok just installed openbox...new problem...how do i see my open but minimized apps?

Jose Catre-Vandis
September 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Quick answer: ALT+TAB

Slow answer: put gnome-panel in your autostart.sh file or just type gnome-panel in a terminal once you are started up in openbox (assuming you have installed openbox "over" gnome

Pogeymanz
September 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Or middle-click.

jimi_hendrix
September 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Or middle-click.

laptop...no middle button

urukrama
September 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
laptop...no middle button

Did you see my answer to your now deleted post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=932428)?