PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install dvd won't boot

cpenni
September 28th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I'm new to linux so i got a book to read up. went to install the dvd that came with the book but it won't boot when i look in my computer it don't see the dvd it works in my laptop if i put windows cd or dvd in it works. i don't understand why it won't read the linux disc. i have more then 1 disc. thanks for any help.

overdrank
September 28th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I'm new to linux so i got a book to read up. went to install the dvd that came with the book but it won't boot when i look in my computer it don't see the dvd it works in my laptop if i put windows cd or dvd in it works. i don't understand why it won't read the linux disc. i have more then 1 disc. thanks for any help.

Hi and welcome, If you have more than one Ubuntu disc what happens if you try them? Can you boot from the first DVD that is not recognized in windows?

coldfire204
September 28th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I had a similar problem, is your DVD drive internal or external? If it's external, you might want to make sure that your motherboard is 2.0 compliant, and make sure you can boot from it in the BIOS. If it's internal, check the BIOS and make sure you can select it in the BIOS boot sequence.

cpenni
September 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM
my drive is internal and i can change the boot sequence. i can boot a windows recovery dvd and the ubuntu will boot in my laptop. i have two different disk. in my desk top the linux disk don't show up at all. this computer is about 8 years old its a HP intel P4 i don't know about the mother board.