PDA

View Full Version : Successful Internet Cafe Install

bonzodog
November 21st, 2005, 06:40 PM
Well, I was called upon by a local Internet Cafe to Install a linux Distro on **some** of their machines, as the owner was an ex-debian user, and I decided to bring him Ubuntu. He had only ever had debian on a server and had never seen X in full use. I've installed it on 1 in the middle of the cluster, and it has been in constant use today with NO complaints from the general public. I simply altered gnome so there was the one bar at the bottom, so it was 'windows-esque'. Firefox has run flawlessly, as has aMSN. I am very pleased with the results. This for me proves that linux is ready for the desktop.

jc87
November 21st, 2005, 06:52 PM
I think the problem for most people are games , drivers , and specific programs.

In a internet cafe you dont install anything , you just use the computers there , and for that ubuntu and manny gnu/linux distros are more than perfect (better than windows even).

Is not much different from using a live-cd , the problem is when you install .

But is always good knowing than gnu/linux is killing wintendo pc by pc , in a few years we will have a good market slice and better suport.

Kuolio
November 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM
Hmm, sounds cool. Hope you (and Ubuntu!) impres the cafe owner so that you can install linux on every computer there :)

On a side note: I think linux performs way better in as a netcafe OS then windows does. Why? Simply because there is *NO* viruses, malware, spyware etc. and because linux has good and well managed users(accounts) and usergroups and it is VERY hard to "hack" outside your own useraccounts limits. And nowadays, when linux has these very good desktop environments with office, browsers, instant messaging and even voicecall aps (Skype!).. I just dont see it why most netcafes run on windows. Oh the humanity..

landotter
November 21st, 2005, 08:54 PM
I highly recommend that you install the latest build of Firefox 1.5. It has a privacy settings feature that enables you to erase all personal information when the browser is closed--perfect for a cafe.

It seems perfectly stable to me, though some extensions don't work yet--you don't really need a bunch of those in a cafe setting anyway.