PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Ubuntu!

thomashome
September 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
My Dad says

"Linux and Ubuntu should be in the bin"

I think it is because he had bad experiences with Ubuntu but what would you say to get him back onto Linux? (Think about it from a Business point of view you want to sell him Linux)

forrestcupp
September 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Unless he's prohibiting you from using it, I'd just let him use what he wants to use.

glotz
September 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Have him read the stuff in the link in my sig. (below)

Sealbhach
September 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Unless he's prohibiting you from using it, I'd just let him use what he wants to use.

+1 to that. Unless he has a reason to switch he won't want to.

smoker
September 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
only 'clever' dads use linux :-)

LaRoza
September 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
My Dad says

Look at him in awe and say "Wow. You are going against IBM, HP, Dell, Acer, and System76 business plans, contradicting NASA, and many governments and are smarter than thousands of programmers that are top in their field."

Then tell him "Opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one".

fatality_uk
September 28th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Look at him in awe and say "Wow. You are going against IBM, HP, Dell, Acer, and System76 business plans, contradicting NASA, and many governments and are smarter than thousands of programmers that are top in their field."

Then tell him "Opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one".

And when you have finished your 6 year grounding for being cheeky, Ubuntu will be on release 11.04 and we will all live in space cities.

Seriously, Linux is used by MANY (including mine) large corporations for mission critical applications. It has been that way for many years. Now, Linux is filtering down to the desktop and that stability and security is now giving many smaller companies a lot of cost benefits.

oldsoundguy
September 28th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Add to that both the US Navy and US Army fire control systems are Linux. (driving the smart weapons)

Lowe's uses a version of Red Hat enterprise Linux.

Garmin, in their new facility, will be using Linux for in house .. getting rid of their Windows servers.

The list is growing exponentially.

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
If he is happy with what he is using, let him use that.

Maybe if you had a space PC to install Ubuntu on it for him and have it configured correctly he may have a different opinion.

Some old dogs can't learn new tricks.

Some of us need to be led to the water slowly, the others just jump right in.

jespdj
September 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Show him this screencast:

Why Ubuntu (http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/MoS2007/04_why_ubuntu)

rune0077
September 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Don't tell him. Linux is about choice, that's what everyone says. That must also include the choice to not use it, if one doesn't want to.

Canis familiaris
September 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Have him read the stuff in the link in my sig. (below)

-1 to that actually. The GNU philosophy is quite complicated and I doubt it will convince an ordinary user.
@OP:
Tell your father Linux would increase your knowledge.

mikewhatever
September 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
My Dad says

I think it is because he had bad experiences with Ubuntu but what would you say to get him back onto Linux? (Think about it from a Business point of view you want to sell him Linux)

If Ubuntu didn't work for him, no matter what you tell will put your dad in a defensive position. Fix, or help him fix the problem, then talk.

kpkeerthi
September 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM
My Dad says

Don't bother. Just ignore him and go get some sleep.