PDA

View Full Version : Very impressed with Open Arena

uraliss
September 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Folks,
I just installed Open Arena and I must say i'm very impressed.
Shooters aren't really my sort of game but this is something really special. I would say that the only thing that lets it down after 10 mins of playing is that some of the character models look a bit odd as they run around. Other than that its impressive!
Are there any other games that are worth trying out that are as impressive as this?
Im more interested in sim games and civ types, especially space strategy styles.

myusername
September 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
nexuiz is good

Vince4Amy
September 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Capture the flag on Open Arena is always fun.

mips
September 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I dunno. I have tried the open source games but Counter Strike just feels better to me.

david_lynch
September 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I like alien arena - lots of fun, but I still like good old q3a demo - lots of cool mods, lots of ppl still playing it out there.

I'm basically a 3D fps player - never really got into the turn-based games. When I want something mellow I'll play mahjong or something like that.

MaxIBoy
September 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Alien Arena is absolutely terrific. If you get it, either download it from the website (red.planetarena.org) which will get you version 7.10, or compile from SVN (svn://svn.icculus.org/alienarena/trunk) which will get you version 7.12. The version in repos is out of date.

Alien Arena remains my favorite game of all time. If you've got a nice rig, this will show it off. If you've got a really old computer, the game will run very nicely.

Plus, Alien Arena's community has a devotion to sportsmanship I've never seen anywhere else.

Version 7.20 is due out in about a week, I'm very psyched.

Mazza558
September 27th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm personally looking forward to OpenArena on the Pandora (http://www.openpandora.org/) - Internet Multiplayer on the go!

kevin11951
September 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I cant believe nobody mentioned tremulous!?

Tremulous -

sudo apt-get install tremulous

MaxIBoy
September 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
To be quite honest, I'm unsure what the Open Arena fuss is all about. I find the game's original maps to range between gimmicky and unplayable. Although the weapon balance is pretty good, it does still need work (I was able to beat the whole game with only the saw, and I'm not even that good.)

Not to be a troll at all, OA is a very good game, but it gets more attention than it deserves to.

And tremulous is an excellent game... or would be, if the human team was allowed to win every once in a while.

FuturePilot
September 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
nexuiz is good

+1 :)

MaxIBoy
September 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Let's not forget Cube. Sauerbraten isn't as good as good ol' Cube.

Frak
September 27th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I cant believe nobody mentioned tremulous!?

Tremulous -

sudo apt-get install tremulous
Liked it until all the developers turned into a lot of d*****bags. Pidgin has ignorant developers, but Tremulous has some grand scope... that took 3 extra years to start.

Polygon
September 27th, 2008, 11:13 PM
i hate the graphics in OA...its just...so bad. the saw especially is really bad. and the sound for it is so loud and annoying.....

sloggerkhan
September 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
open arena is one of the worst open fps games...
Nexuiz and Warsow nock its pants off.

Zero Prime
September 28th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Try Urban Terror.

Changturkey
September 28th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Tremulous is good, but they really need a new version.

Frak
September 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Tremulous is good, but they really need a new version.
Trem 1.2 is coming out, but it's not very good IMHO. It took way to long to even start the project, and it has next to nil improvements.

jpeddicord
September 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM
OA is fun in a limited sense. There are tons of extra maps and plenty of people to play online with, but a lot of it just doesn't feel polished.

Nexuiz is very polished IMO, but the maps feel a little bland. That, and I can't beat the second level of the single-player mode.

Haven't tried AA, but I think I'll download it tonight. :KS

Frak
September 28th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I stopped playing Nexuiz because of it's grown rate of cheaters.

barbedsaber
September 28th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Asault cube (based on cube, very basic, still fun)
saurbraten
Tremulous (teh awesum)
open arena (because quake rules)
UT game of the year edition through wine (sorry, had to put it in)
Super tux XD
extreme tux racer (pwns planet penguin racer to hell and back)

right, I am done

zmjjmz
September 28th, 2008, 03:50 AM
OpenArena is win. The new one (0.80) is even more win, even if the developer pulled it due to a contributor putting in some proprietary stuff.

3rdalbum
September 28th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I like World Of Padman, but for some reason the sound is breaking up on my computer (might have something to do with my overclock).

MaxIBoy
September 28th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I remember that game! It looked really cool when I tried it, but no one was ever online, ever, so I never wound up actually playing it. Has traffic picked up?

Jim!
September 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I like Open Arena but I prefer Alien Arena, It's very similar because it's more or less the same type of shooter I guess it's just the style and 'feel' of the game that gets me. It has a good online community too.:)

Naiki Muliaina
September 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I prefer Nexuiz over OA ^^

juxtaposed
September 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I like Warsow, it's an amazing game :)

zmjjmz
September 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Supposedly OA0.80 has voice chat, but I can't seem to get it to work :/
Anybody care to tell me how? I suppose only certain servers support it, in which case could anyone give men hints on how to find such servers?

MaxIBoy
September 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I like Open Arena but I prefer Alien Arena, It's very similar because it's more or less the same type of shooter I guess it's just the style and 'feel' of the game that gets me. It has a good online community too.:)
[sinn]Jim? Is that you? :o

joninkrakow
September 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Folks,
I just installed Open Arena and I must say i'm very impressed.
Shooters aren't really my sort of game but this is something really special. I would say that the only thing that lets it down after 10 mins of playing is that some of the character models look a bit odd as they run around. Other than that its impressive!
Are there any other games that are worth trying out that are as impressive as this?
Im more interested in sim games and civ types, especially space strategy styles.

Myself, I'm partial to the old Mac Marathon series by Bungie, the guys who gave us Halo. The Marathon engine has been open-sourced, and is called AlephOne. You can get it at source.bungie.org.

Marathon is from the same era as Doom, but is much better than any first-person-shooter that I have ever tried. Most are simply run around, shoot things, and hit switches. Marathon has a plot--quite convoluted. You learn things by reading computer consoles, which the various artificial intelligence computers use to communicate to you (and in later games, humans). Also, as you explore, you will discover other computer terminals which can reveal quite interesting details, and both broaden and deepen the story line. Of course, Marathon wouldn't be Bungie if it didn't have plot twists, and even a little back-stabbing thrown in. It's definitely a keeper, IMO. In fact, right now, I'm playing through the original series on my Wind in Ubuntu.

it isn't so easy to get going. You have to download the rpm from the site mentioned above, apt-get install alien, use the cli tool alien to convert the rpm to a deb, install the deb, and then download the various scenarios (the thre original and Rubicon are what I recommend--Rubicon is a third-party conversion that is as good as the originals).

Once everything is in the right place, you will try to run alephone, and get a dependency error. You will need to apt-get install that, then run alephone again, and get another dependency error. Keep running and installing until you finally get alephone going. The problem stems from the SDL libraries that aren't installed by default. I tried to find a metapackage and install it, but either it didn't work, or there isn't one, so I spent the couple minutes it took installing each dependency one by one. But, IMO, IT'S WORTH IT! ;-)

yes, all the sprites are 2D, and it's graphics are rather primitive, but once you start playing, you will soon forget those things as you start creeping around the darkened corridors of the Marathon spaceship, fearing what may be lurking behind every corner... Seriously, until you play it, you really won't appreciate it.

Bonus.... If you've played Halo, you will find yourself right at home. They can be eerily similar...

-Jon

MaxIBoy
September 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Good one, I forgot to mention that.

Marathon is the only 2.5 dimensional game that doesn't make me barf. (I get vertigo if I play wolf3d or Doom for too long.) I never got very far in the game, though. And I never did get it working under Linux. Perhaps I should try again someday.

sloggerkhan
September 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Never played aleph one, but I did play through all the original marathon games and they were a blast. (I think I might have used wine, in any case, they're all available for free now.)

BLTicklemonster
September 28th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I've been an Unreal Tournament GOTY fan for years, making maps and weapons, now I'm burned out on it, and want to find a new game that will allow me to make maps and mod weapons, and perhaps host my own server.

What is there I can install in linux that might fit this bill? Can I Zark up a weapon in open arena or tremulous or nexuiz, and make my own maps?

zmjjmz
September 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
What is there I can install in linux that might fit this bill? Can I Zark up a weapon in open arena or tremulous or nexuiz, and make my own maps?

Not sure about weapons, but Sauerbraten lets you make your own maps.

sloggerkhan
September 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Nexuiz you can make maps, skins, and player models. I think you use gtkRadiant usually for the maps (I think typical pk3 file type?) and models can be done in blender. Weapons, I am not sure about, but I'd guess you could at least customize the weapon models for your server. I'd look up more details if you're interested.

MaxIBoy
September 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Nexuiz wouldn't use pk3, it's actually based on Quake 1.

Alien Arena is great for modeling, mapping, and skinning. (Weapon models, not so much.)

sloggerkhan
September 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Nexuiz wouldn't use pk3, it's actually based on Quake 1.

Alien Arena is great for modeling, mapping, and skinning. (Weapon models, not so much.)

Nexuiz uses .pk3, I just checked.
.pk3 is a container for maps used by a variety of games/quake engines.

Bölvağur
September 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
To the original poster: Try spring (http://spring.clan-sy.com/).
It is Total Annihilation in 3-d. You can get the game engine through synaptic and then go to the website to get mods (you cannot play without mods). I think you might need some texture and some extra files to download and save into the mod folder, you can pm me if you have troubles installing this, it sure is worth installing.