PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] getting xp back.

ninjip
September 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Well when I first bought my computer I had vista on it. Then I tried switching to ubuntu and tbh I'd really just like having XP again (compatibility problems with my favourite stuff :() so well I purchased a windows XP cd but now WHAT THE HELL? I attempt to reinstall it but I get these messages saying it can't locate my drivers!!! What am I to do? I really just want xp back so everything works again...

Oh and please no messages saying stuff like : please describe why ubuntu isn't good for you.. So we can make it better so you like it! I'm anoyed of those.

Bakon Jarser
September 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Then how about a message saying please don't post windows problems to a linux support site.

Elfy
September 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
You'll need to get drivers for your pc from the manufacturer probably, windows don't supply them, which is why it can be so hard to actually get a win pc to work properly and gives the lie to windows working out of the box - unless you have the driver discs from when you bought it.

There is this site which has mnay drivers in the 10 packs - http://www.driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

I have no idea which you will need though, this page is an overview of the available ones http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/overview.php

ninjip
September 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Then how about a message saying please don't post windows problems to a linux support site.

dude.. the problem comes from ubuntu so obviously being its ubuntus fault I have good chances of finding a solution for this here.

Frak
September 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
dude.. the problem comes from ubuntu so obviously being its ubuntus fault I have good chances of finding a solution for this here.
Shouldn't say this... but I will anyway.

Ubuntu is a large peice of software composed of little pieces of software. It has no emotion, so it cannot feel guilt. It also cannot feel hate.

You can't put the blame on a piece of software for your problems. It is purely PEBKAC.

Anyways, get the drivers from your vendor. Best place.

JasenGroves
September 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM

Really, it's not Ubuntu's fault. It's Window's fault for not being able to detect your hardware without a driver. If you just go to your computer's manufacturer website, and direct your self to "customer support" or "support" and you'll find the area where you can download the missing drivers.

lswb
September 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I don't like saying this but you would probably have better success reinstalling vista on your computer rather than XP. It is likely that the XP install disk does not contain some drivers for recent manufacture systems and components. The CD may even be a few years old. A vista full-install CD will probably have the drivers necessary for a currently made computer.