PDA

View Full Version : What to choose?

LitnuX
November 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM
I'm realy into going from Windows to Ubuntu 5.10. What should i do when windows vista shows up? Should i stay with windows or go to Linux?
P.S
I use my computer for listening music, serching the net, web design, videos and playing games

Stormy Eyes
November 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM
If you do a lot of gaming, don't bother with Linux. If you do a little gaming, then dual boot.

Ride Jib
November 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM
I have two ways to answer your questions....

1. You answered it already. "I'm really into going from Windows to 5.10"

and 2. This is a ubuntu forum, of course we're going to tell you to switch!!

DimaIL
November 21st, 2005, 06:23 PM
hi LitnuX,
Download Ubuntu Live CD, and try it without install on the computer! It is very nice to new people in Linux!

Dima

Luggy
November 21st, 2005, 07:46 PM
I'm realy into going from Windows to Ubuntu 5.10. What should i do when windows vista shows up?

Well time is going to tell to what extent Microsoft is going to force the gaming world to switch. From what we have seen so far it doesn't look like Vista is going to end up being any better then XP was.

It comes down to games; how much do you actually play time and how much time and effort are you willing to put into getting Wine or Cedega up and running.

Kvark
November 21st, 2005, 11:13 PM
If you pick Windows then stay with Windows XP, there is nothing that forces you to upgrade unless you really need those new features like stronger DRM restrictions and a new filesystem. Upgrading would just make your desktop look better and your games run slower.

It is just like XP vs 2k. You can do the same stuff in both so it doesn't matter which one you use. XP has a few minor extra features compared to 2k but the only really noticeable difference is that XP looks better.

Carnwaj
November 22nd, 2005, 12:09 AM
I doubt very much whether Vista will bring the new dawn that Bill hopes it will. From the little I've read many of the problems that XP had will still be there. Many of the revolutionary 'must have' features have been dropped because they're not ready. Not ready or won't be ready until the Vista Plus package!

If you are an early adopter then nothing will keep you from Vista.

teaker1s
November 22nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
remember the 98 ME NT XP marketing and many companies still use nt (2000) vista will be a bag of crap at first and reasonably reliable by the end of it's life cycle.
if you want straight forward almost anything works and unreliable by ms if you want a few pet bugs and freedom have linux

Tiede
November 22nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
My advice to you, Litnux, would be to Dual-Boot Ubuntu and XP, so the learining curve won't frighten you; and then take the money you were gonna put in Vista to buy a nice Gaming Console!
Bottom line, if you really are interested in Linux, then give it a go! :)
And don't bother with Vista, cause if it's eye candy you're after, you're gonna find alot of programs for that in XP (for a modest amount of $) or for free in Linux --though a bit more complicated.