PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] *Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron

pfbray
September 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have spent the best part of a week installing ubuntu hardy heron onto my samsung R410. It has not been nice and has finally installed using the alternative install. However as soon as I have installed it it reboots and hangs on a page that says

*Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron [OK]
*Starting deferred execution scheduler atd [OK]
*Starting periodic command scheduler crond [OK]
*Checking battery state... [OK]
*Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]

Could someone please explain my next step because I am very new to Ubuntu being a life-long windows user and hater. Please - understandable language. Many thanks

thpanis
November 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hey people,

I have had very similar problem; lately (it started a couple of months ago) evey now and then (~2 weeks) my computer (ubuntu 8.04 on toshiba satellite M259) suddenly shows me a black screen with the same lines as those of the message of pfbray above. Then it sits there and waits... unless I do ctrl+alt+del and it turns off...

Any help would be really appreciated... i don't know how serious problem it can be, so I am considering switching to another distribution...

UniqueCrash5
February 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
*bump*

Same thing happened to me, and though it seems to have been ok after a reboot I'd really like to know what it was.

raspoutyne
March 29th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hello,

I am new to Ubuntu as my main OS (3 months). Very impressed, but unfortunately I also get this anacron's message from time to time. For me, I noticed that it seems to happen when I am watching streaming video or flash animation in Firefox and many tabs are open. The error happen when I close a tab. After the anacron bug and a restart, Firefox can restore the last session, even the tab I clicked for closing it.

Is there a way to disable Anacron? And what are the consequences of disabling it?

Is there a way to create a log of computer activities so that I can make sure what actions I did before the bug happened?

Thanx