PDA

View Full Version : My refrigerator

steveneddy
September 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Just came home and found my refrigerator disgusting.

I want an appliance that will keep food for more than a month without going bad.

Too bad the forums don't have a smell feature.

I would post pics of some of what I found but I would get an infraction.

What's this world coming to when you can't stay gone for a month and come home to fresh food in the fridge?

-grubby
September 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing

pp.
September 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
There's a solution to this well known problem in Douglas Adam's novel The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Some hints:
RTFM.
Do not place open foodstuff into the fridge.
Read the fine print on the products you buy.
Do not leave perishables in the fridge for a month.

MaxIBoy
September 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Just wrap stuff in tinfoil and stick it in the freezer. Course, that can make things pretty disgusting too.

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM
You will be glad to know that the fridge is free of horrid smells and rotting flesh of dead animals.

I think Bigfoot raided my trash cans last night!

zmjjmz
September 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
There's a solution to this well known problem in Douglas Adam's novel The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Awesome book.

ELD
September 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I tend to stick anything i can in freezer, keeps food good for ageees

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Yeah - but then you face freezer burn.

smoker
September 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM

keeps the children quiet, though they can grow up cold-hearted:)

ELD
September 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Yeah - but then you face freezer burn.

say what? whats that?

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
say what? whats that?

When what you put in the freezer dehydrates while being frozen.

Freezer burn.

Freezer burn (alternately spelled freezerburn, sometimes called frostbite) is a condition that occurs when frozen food (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food) has been damaged by ice crystals, due to air reaching the food. It is generally induced by substandard (non-airtight) packaging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezerburn

And food will rot in the freezer, but much slower than if it were in the fridge.

steveneddy
September 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Nice and clean - and no smelly stuff!

pastalavista
November 7th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I keep only canned food in the fridge (beer is food, right?)

anything that can go bad will go bad... if you don't eat it first

sparks0548
November 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Food still rots, just rots at a slower pace.

Tamlynmac
November 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
steveneddy

Too bad the forums don't have a smell feature.

Did I miss something? Unless this is suggesting that occasionally the forums have certain smell? :-\"

tsali
November 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Did you submit a bug report or an idea for improvement to Kenmore, Whirlpool, GE, et al?

Have you tried the refrigerated food IRC#?

What about the large appliance forums?

Perhaps you could modify the fridge to work the way you'd like?

I'm not going to post the solution lest I deprive you of the learning experience...

Lastly, there's always the friendly manual.

BTW, Kitchenaide RULES ;)

:)

steveneddy
November 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
With Thanksgiving coming it's time to clean it up again.

Anyone having families at your home for the holidays?

Thelasko
November 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I want an appliance that will keep food for more than a month without going bad.
I'm working on a new style of refrigerator that won't actually keep the food cold. What it will do is spin around fast enough so the food's speed will approach the speed of light. Due to the laws of special relativity, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation) a month for you will only seem like a few seconds for your food.

You could put a hot pizza in your fridge, go away for a month, and when you come back you will have a hot pizza exactly the same as when you left (minus inertial effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force)).

I've run into a few roadblocks, but hope to have it completed before Duke Nukem Forever is released.

vkbl111
December 14th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Well you could do like I do whenever I'm back in Ukraine, where I do not have the luxury of a car. So I am limited to the amount of food I am able to take home :D so your food wont rot if you eat it all within one or two day and just go and buy 2 days worth of food again :D. I guess even in the States that why my fridge is always empty, just enough for like 2 days.

MikeTheC
December 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM
The problem is you didn't remember to install a time barrier -- a so-called "chrono dam" -- system prior to your departure. Had you done that, you could have kept the food viable more-or-less indefinitely, provided you could afford the electric bill.

Regrettably, most of the required components are only available via mail-order from off-world suppliers, and let me tell you, if you think sending a letter internationally takes forever, try sending something via I.G.P.S.

But anyhow...