PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Web Based Chat

Eviltechie
September 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm looking for a web based chat thigy for my website. I already tried IRC, and didn't like it. I tried phpopenchat, but it wouldn't install.

So any other ideas?

(Yes, the server is running 7.04)

Johnsie
September 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I use this one:

http://www.linuxuser.at/wiki_old/index.php?title=Most_Simple_Ajax_Chat_Ever

It's ajax based. Ajax is a very handy skill to learn for web development.

Eviltechie
September 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Neat little chat program, but I need one that offers basic administration.

Johnsie
September 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
What kind of administration?

Eviltechie
September 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Kind of like the enterprise version of this.

http://www.addonchat.com/features_monthly.html

But it needs to be free.

Eviltechie
September 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
In case you are wondering what it is for, the supervisors on wikianswers have group chats sometimes. We were using meebo, but a lot of people had problems with it. I also need to find something for live support. And logging is important.

-grubby
September 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
In case you are wondering what it is for, the supervisors on wikianswers have group chats sometimes. We were using meebo, but a lot of people had problems with it. I also need to find something for live support. And logging is important.

That sounds perfect for IRC, really. Go register a channel and get yourself a bot to log..

Plus, it has full administration features

EDIT:

I already tried IRC, and didn't like it.

what's wrong with IRC?

Eviltechie
September 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Well my host just set up an IRC server, but couldn't get the administartion thing to work. I may try freenode. But if I go with IRC, I'll need some sort of java/flash thing that I can embed.

-grubby
September 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Well my host just set up an IRC server, but couldn't get the administartion thing to work. I may try freenode. But if I go with IRC, I'll need some sort of java/flash thing that I can embed.

see mibbit.com, somewhere aruond there they have an embed thingy, but you could just use the site itself

Eviltechie
September 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I was using eriler. (b/c I can't use my ubuntu, so I had to use my mom's vista.)

Thanks for the help.

Eviltechie
September 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Consider this unsolved.

IRC is a pain in the butt. Being a channel op is not fun at all!

So does anybody have any other ideas? What I'm looking for is an ajax, administable, simple, web based, free, chat thigy.