PDA

View Full Version : University...advice appreciated

TheSlipstream
September 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Well, University is still a little while away (year 12 next year) but I think it's time to do some serious thought.

Basically, my talents are in computers and English. Not much skill in mathematics, although I'm not awful. I'm quite good in Biology and Chemistry as well. I feel I can probably get a maximum ENTER score of about 85, if I really try hard.

The main degrees I'm considering are in IT, but I'm also looking at the Business (especially Management, or maybe International Trade or Economics) and Medicine fields. I could do Law, but I might not be immoral enough.

The thing that worries me, however, is the job security in IT. I often hear graduates complain of outsourcing in their industry. It would kill me to be unable to find a job after four years of study.

Business is payed well, if you can find a good job in it. I am a successful debater and a good speaker, and I am quite a good leader too. This may be the best career for me.

I'm reluctant for Medicine. It pays well, but it's stressful and fairly closed, in that there's little to work towards, other then pay increases.

I don't think I'd do Law. I'm not that evil.

Could anyone advise me on career related matters? I'm giving this lots of thought, but I know many here are experienced and hold strong opinions.

Aifread
September 27th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Pretty much, any computer career field may possibly be outsourced by the time you finish school for it. Definitely a problem. Your solution, find a smaller flexible field you think has potential that you also find interest. Also, from personal experience; have some sort of fall back incase plan A doesn't work, so like if you take classes pertaining to a certain field, try having that blend in with a general field as well, that way you get more choices when you finish.

Solicitous
September 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What about doing a combined degree? eg. Bachelor of Business and Information Systems? Only adds on average 1 extra year and would give you the option of going in to either Business or IT. You mentioned Management, I would double major that with Accounting/Finance/Economics if going down the Business line (this is coming from someone currently doing Business with a double major in Accounting and Corporate Governance). Requires no extra years are subjects, just smart picking.

With outsourcing...I still think that if people are worried about what jobs are being outsourced in the near future they need to sit back and look at what jobs *could* be outsourced. You're pretty much safe if your job requires constant onsite work or personal interaction with clients eg. Sales rep, IT Technician etc (this is personal opinion BTW).

Goodluck and do well. I'm one person who only saw the light of Uni after 10 years struggling to make it high in the workforce.

lisati
September 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Often the use of a computer and solving problems with it depends not so much on maths but the ability to think things through.

Nepherte
September 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Often the use of a computer and solving problems with it depends not so much on maths but the ability to think things through.
As a student engineer in computer science, I can tell we get a lot of mathematics. You can't exactly call numerical maths, discrete linear algebra, calculus, ... "just think things true" unless you're a genius perhaps :)

Npl
September 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Often the use of a computer and solving problems with it depends not so much on maths but the ability to think things through.Maths is "dissecting and thinking things through". Calculating and blindly using teached formulas aint... for that we have those dumb rectangular boxes.

On that note, IMHO you are better of studying maths with some CS classes than go for a CS degree (but I might be biased as thats what I am doing). But if you dont have a talent for maths (as in abstracting problems and using strict logic, not calculating) then you better dont go for a maths degree