PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop placement from toolbar icon?

akahige
September 27th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Running Gnome/Hardy... I'm wondering if it's not somehow possible to configure a toolbar icon to place the application it launches on all desktops (workspaces), instead of having to open it and then set that manually.

I tried searching the forums, but the terms are so generic that I got a million unrelated results and didn't find anything useful.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

gettinoriginal
September 27th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I don't know if I am understanding your problem correctly, but you can put the launcher on your panel, then it is usable on all workspaces.

akahige
September 27th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Sorry for not being more clear...

What I meant was that when you have a launcher on the panel, is it in any way possible to set it so that the application that opens will appear on all workspaces, instead of having to open the app and then set that in the window menu...?

gettinoriginal
September 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I am not sure about that, but if you are using compiz, you can always use "shift switcher" or "ring switcher", that seems to work for me, but I think that only applies to open windows. But with the desktop preferences set to multiple workspaces, I don't find it a problem to just go back and forth or use my shift switcher. Hope this helps :D

akahige
September 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the machine that I'm using doesn't have the horsepower to run Compiz and the other apps that I need, so I have all of the Visual Effects turned off. (I suppose I should have mentioned that initially...)