PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is it ????

dgoddard1
September 27th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I don't like "Evolution Mail" So I downloaded the thunderbird deb file and installed it.

It said it re-installed it successfully but it did not tell me where and I can't find it. It certainly is not in my application list.

1. Where am I supposed to look for newly installed sofware applications
2. Where should I look for thunderbird
3. How do I put it in my applications menu drop down list?

Obviously I am new to Ubuntu. I am also frustrated by the lack of specificity in information

I am also confused by why my attempts at spell checking this post keep coming up with suggested German spellings

JC Cheloven
September 27th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Please try this at a terminal
thunderbird %u If Thunderbird is installed, this command should bring it up.

If that works, it is not difficult to add a menu item. Just navigate to system -> preferences -> main menu (sorry, not sure about the exact words, 'cause I'm running a localized ubuntu) and probably you'll find your way around. If not, don't hesitate to come back here to ask :-)

By the way: Did you uninstalled evolution prior to installing thunderbird? It should be a good idea: I think evolution tightly integrates in the ubuntu desktop; perhaps too tightly ;-)

EDIT: as for your question about the installed programs: most of the programs you install go to /usr/bin. Also, if you install via synaptic, aptitude or apt-get, a copy of the .deb file is saved in /var/cache/apt, which can be useful if you need reinstalling (either on the same or onto a different pc).

steveneddy
September 27th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Please try this at a terminal
thunderbird %u If Thunderbird is installed, this command should bring it up.

If that works, it is not difficult to add a menu item. Just navigate to system -> preferences -> main menu (sorry, not sure about the exact words, 'cause I'm running a localized ubuntu) and probably you'll find your way around. If not, don't hesitate to come back here to ask :-)

By the way: Did you uninstalled evolution prior to installing thunderbird? It should be a good idea: I think evolution tightly integrates in the ubuntu desktop; perhaps too tightly ;-)

I don't think it is necessary to uninstall Evolution.

If you don't find Thunderbird in the above way try in terminal:

locate thunderbird

cariboo
September 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I don't suppose you checked Applications-->Internet-->Mozilla Thunderbird Mail/News ?

Jim