PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Problem! Need Help

sokolpl
September 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Hello I am having problems installing ubuntu, I load the disk in drive everything boots but then I get a black screen with Buffer I/O error on device fd0. Then it checks everything and there are [Ok] that the end then I go through the steps and when goes through the checking partisan its empty, why doesn't it read my HDD. I had windows on it couple min ago and working with no problem. Anyone know why its not reading my HDD and why am I getting the Buffer I/o error on device fd0. Please help.

spiderbatdad
September 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
that sound like it mightbe a bad image on the cd.

Sef
September 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Instead of clicking Live CD or Install, go down to 'Check CD for Errors'. If you have them, then you need to burn a new one or redownload the iso, if the md5sum is bad.

BoDwayne
September 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I am having a similar problem. When I load the Hardy Heron install disk, early on I get "buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0". It repeats this on two lines, then will hang there for a minute, then finish loading the live CD and everything looks fine. I've tried several times to install from this point, but when it tries to build the new partitions, I receive another I/O error. Here, it says possible problems may be a faulty HDD, a faulty install disk or the CD reader may need cleaning.
It's not the install disk. I've checked it for errors, and it checks OK. Actually, I've installed on two separate computers from this disk with no problems (although the initial fd0 error still seems to pop up).
It's not the hard drive. I've tried to install (on this same computer) to two different hard drives and have the same problem.
I've run a cleaning disk on the CD drive. No help. The only thing I haven't tried is to switch out the CD drive (I have another I could try). That will be my next step, but I thought I'd check the forums, and came across this thread.
-- What does "buffer I/O error" mean?
-- What is "device fd0"?

This is my main computer, with 2.8G processor and 1.5G ram. I am currently running Ubuntu 7.04 with no problems.
I am trying to do a clean install of Hardy 8.04 on a separate HDD, leaving my 7.04 installation intact. I have even made the new HDD boot as the master drive, but still no luck.

Ideas, anyone?

sokolpl
September 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Ok i burned a new copy of ubuntu and still nothing same problem when the checking hd there nothing there. Anyone know what I should do. I deleted all my files and etc on that drive so ubuntu has a clean hd to work with and still nothing. When I put windows cd in it reads my hdd this is wierd anyone know what the problem is. I am using WD 150g Raptor X 10000rpm.