PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kmail won't fetch mail.

C. Wizard
September 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Kmail has suddenly stopped retrieving e-mail.
I can send, but not receive.

When instructed to check mail there is no response of any kind and no error message.

I've gone so far as to un-install KMail and erase any trace of it, and start from scratch, but no luck.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

wladicus
September 27th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Hi C. Wizard,
I do not think that I can help with your KMail situation, but perhaps you would like to switch to Evolution instead. I am running Evolution in Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and it is great. It is a mail programme as well as a calendar utility. If it is not already installed (mine wasn't) then you can download it from a terminal simply by typing the following:
sudo apt-get install evolution. :)

C. Wizard
September 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give Evolution a try.

C. Wizard
September 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hi C. Wizard,
I do not think that I can help with your KMail situation, but perhaps you would like to switch to Evolution instead. I am running Evolution in Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and it is great. It is a mail programme as well as a calendar utility. If it is not already installed (mine wasn't) then you can download it from a terminal simply by typing the following:. :)
Well, I tried it and liked the look and feel, but it has, IMHO, some serious drawbacks.

The fact you have to install plugins to get some functions that are built-in to other e-mail clients should have been a hint.

Perhaps I just haven't been able to figure out what I want to do, but I don't think that is the case, so I'm going to have to pass on
Evolution until it evolves a bit more. :)

Thanks, again, for the suggestion.

At this point, after 21 years of using personal computers and around 14 years on
the Internet, I would have to say that KMail
is the best mail client I've used to date.
As it is part of KDEPIM it can be used with
a calendar, address book, etc.
The second best e-mail client, IMHO, would be
Thunderbird, but it is a distant second to KMail.
Now if I can just get KMail to start retrieving mail again. Perhaps KMail for KDE 4.xx? It can be used inside of KDE 3.5.10.

kiatoa
October 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I have a similar problem. Kmail will download email a few times then stop. If I push the download button it just silently fails. If I log out and log back in again then downloading will work again for a while.