PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Setting Nautilus as default file manager on Xubuntu

kwaanens
September 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm using Xubuntu, and would like to change the file manager from Thunar to Nautilus.

I've tried seraching, and fiddling with some things, but to no avail.

How do I do that?

Vahids
November 2nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
goto Terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install nautilus

;)

kwaanens
November 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
That installs Nautilus, but it obviously does _not_ set it as default file manager in XFCE. (However, I'm back to using Gnome exclusively, so it does not matter that much to me anymore)

jittopjose
November 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
i have installed xubuntu-desktop on my ubuntu intallation. so have nautilus, thunar, pcmanfm in my system. how can i make pcman or nautilus defalut in my xubuntu session?
jittos....

fallingleaf
December 31st, 2008, 05:20 AM
I'd love to find this out too. I love XFCE but I miss the features of Nautilus. I found an old howto thread but the config files it says to edit don't seem to exist.

grausch
April 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Hi,

I realise this is an older thread, but I have recently switched to Xubuntu 9.04. Now, I need Nautilus to access my network shares. I have tried the other methods in these forums to access the shares through thunar, but they did not work. Nautilus works perfectly, and I can access the terminal to open it, but I would like to set Nautilus to the default browser to enable other users to access my network shares. Can anyone help with this?

chessnerd
April 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well, I recently put Nautilus on Xubuntu 8.04. I don't know if they've changed anything in Jaunty, and I don't know how to make it the default file manager, but to add it, open a terminal and put in:

sudo apt-get install nautilus
Then, after it installs, open Nautilus with:

nautilus --no-desktop
You should now be able to use Nautilus in Xubuntu.

(Important: if you just put in the command "nautilus" your desktop environment will change to GNOME. Found this out through personal experience ;))

phoinx
October 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager help someone...