PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] installing error

Curtis_bob
September 26th, 2008, 07:36 AM
ok this is intersting... 2 problems wich i think it may be one....

i run the update manager... and tell it to install the updates.. i get this error

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic '--hide-main-window' '--non-interactive' '--parent-window-id' '58720259' '-o' 'Synaptic::closeZvt=true' '--progress-str' 'Please wait, this can take some time.' '--finish-str' 'Update is complete' '--set-selections-file' '/tmp/tmpAbfShc' as user root.

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and the other error i get is when i am trying to install a multimedia codec i get this one..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic '--hide-main-window' '--non-interactive' '-o' 'Synaptic::closeZvt=true' '--parent-window-id' '54526080' '--set-selections-file' '/tmp/tmp_qKW5Y' as user root.

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

any thoughts?

Curtis_bob
September 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
ok yeah i do have an issue... out of curiosity i went to play with my users settings... and when i click on Unlock...i get a "Could not authenticate" without even asking for password or anything...

Curtis_bob
September 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM
well i noticed something while i had my user manager open... for some reason in my profile.. the "Administer the System" box is not checked..... i can see that being a problem... if so... how can i change that since i can't log onto a GUI as root??? i don't know the commands with linux yet.... :) so i hope i can learn... :)

Curtis_bob
September 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
alright.. i guess i will just reinstall linux